Chapter 17: First Day as a Heart Pirate

The day was quiet on the Polar Tang. The crew was still feeling fatigued after the recent turn of events on Hachinosu, so all decided to take it easy on this calm day. The submarine coasted steadily through the sea as the light of the sun danced on the surface above. Captain Law had different plans, however, and was determined to make up for lost time. He and his best mates Bepo, Shachi, and Penguin gathered themselves in the library to put the pieces of their original plans back together.

Law sat relaxed back in his chair in a daze as his friends rummaged through documents and books. His charcoal eyes reflected the dancing sunbeams from the near-surface above them. The moment he spent on the deck with Astrid kept playing on repeat in his mind, and he couldn't get the images of her beautiful fair skin and sparkling eyes to stop.

"Here, Captain. This should be the map of where to find the Marine Headquarters." Penguin casually extended a hand holding a charted map, but after a few seconds, no one grabbed it. "Uh, Captain?" He confusingly tried to get Law's attention, but he still was staring into space. Penguin snapped his fingers, "Hello, Earth to Captain!"

"Huh?" Law snapped his head towards his crewmate breaking from his daze. "Oh, yes. Thank you." He reached and took the map.

"You still tired, Captain? We still have time to do this later if you need to rest more." Penguin said concerned.

"No, no...Sorry, I got lost in thought was all." Law brushed it off and opened the map of Marine Headquarters.

Penguin looked over at Shachi with a confused expression, but Shachi shrugged in response equally perplexed. Since the Captain was brushing off the weird moment, they decided to as well and continued with their work. The silence however began to grow strangely awkward though.

"Say, I forgot to mention, sir," Shachi spoke up to ease the atmosphere. "Ash fixed your hat up really well."

Bepo suddenly spun around in his chair to add on with twinkling big black eyes, "Yes! It does look great!"

"Yeah, I suppose she did." Law plainly answered creasing the rim of his hat with his fingers. His eyes began to trail off again at the mention of her name. There went the memories again...

"I'm so happy she finally decided to join the crew! She's going to be amazing to have around. She's so strong, and not to mention gorgeous!" Penguin gushed.

"Yes!" Shachi chimed, "It's going to be awesome having such a beautiful woman on the ship-"

Suddenly a book flew through the air and hit Shachi square in the face hard enough to knock him down to the floor.

"Shut your mouths! Quit talking about her like a bunch of idiots." Law growled at the boys from his desk. They both were shocked at their Captain's unexpected reaction as he had never cared this much about their swooning over women before. Yet, he continued to lecture with an angered expression, "No one is to lay a finger on that woman, got that?!"

The men gulped. "Y-yes sir."

The awkward silence returned even stronger and plagued the workspace as the two men still felt surprised by what just happened. Then, Bepo softly whistled to grab their attention. First, he put a finger to his lips to signal them to stay quiet. He then pointed over to Law, then tapped his fingers together representing Law and Ash.

"Wha-!!?"

"Shhh!!" Bepo desperately tried to hush the boys, but it was in vain. Oh no...

"LAW AND ASH?!!" They both shouted in shock, making Law snap his pencil from embarrassment.

His face lit up immensely, "Bepo!!" Law yelled in anger, making the poor bear hide under the table...

The boys foolishly continued to ramble on, "Captain! Are you and Ash really a couple?"