3.1

❝It's mortifying to be the one who remembers

RYAN O'CONNELL

3.1 : the courage to love

OR

season 4, episode 24 : amplification (ctd.)

IT'S BEEN HOURS AND SPENCER'S STILL SLEEPING. Fin can't remember the last time she stood up or when her butt went numb sitting on this very painful hospital chair, but she's going to hold his hand until he wakes up. That much, she knows.

Morgan's on the opposite side of Spencer's bed, eating nasty hospital Jell-O and flipping through the latest Sports Illustrated. Every once in a while, he passes it across to Fin when there's an interesting page or article, and especially the ridiculous ads, like the Evan Williams whiskey ad that reads "The longer you wait...the better it gets," with photos of a woman in her bathrobe versus the same woman in a tiny red dress and a seductive look on her face.

Fin's attempted to read, but she finds that she just can't focus when Spencer's hand is limp in hers. Somehow, it's just not the same when she knows he could've died. She feels like she needs to be here, to be present with him, to memorize the way he looks right now.

She must have dozed off a little, though, because Spencer squeezes her hand and she almost falls out of her chair. He blinks once, twice, and then frowns sleepily over at Morgan. "Are you eating Jell-O?" he asks in a hoarse voice.

Morgan looks up and grins. "Hmm. Hey, kid."

"Hi, Spencer," Fin whispers, squeezing his hand back. Spencer stirs and looks over at her, an exhausted smile on his face.

"Hey, doc," Morgan calls out into the hall. "Look who's back."

"Is there any more Jell-O?" Spencer asks, his eyes still barely open.

"Hey," Dr. Kimura says, coming over to stand by the end of his bed and smiling proudly. "Not so fast."

Spencer attempts to sit up, and Fin jumps to move the pillows behind him so he can. "What happened?" he asks, blinking the sleepiness from his eyes.

"You're gonna be okay, Spence," Fin says, taking his hand again. There's that lump in her throat again. Damn these emotions.

"We got Brown," Morgan adds, grinning. "It's over."

"How's Abby?" Spencer asks.

"She's on the mend," Dr. Kimura replies happily. "So are the three others. You were right about where to look for his cure."