Desires

AUTHOR'S POV

"This is crazy," Y/N whispered to herself.

Her hushed tone bounced off the marble floor as she walked down the empty hall toward the science department. The black pumps on her feet clicked with each step she took, the metronomic noise doing little to ease her trepidation and only heightening her excitement.

As expected for mid-afternoon on a Saturday, the corridor was quiet, most office doors at the end of the hall closed for the weekend. The second to the last door, however, hung slightly ajar-also expected-and the soft melody of a string orchestra emanated from the opening.

Y/N positioned herself in front of the door, her clenched fist raised to knock. With her free hand, she tugged at her skirt, urging the fabric to lower just slightly, though without any luck.

Why had she picked this teeny thing?

The pleated fabric barely hovered above her knees, and she knew when she sat, the material would ride up.

'If someone sees me like this. . .' she let the thought trail off.

She could back out of this right now if she wanted, knew she didn't have to go through with it. It'd be easy to turn around and walk right back to the parking lot.

Instead, she gently knocked on the door twice as her heart fluttered in her chest.

"Come in," a soft voice beckoned.

Y/N pushed the door open fully, steadying herself before she entered the office.

Professor Rachel McAdams sat behind the narrow desk, head bowed over a stack of papers. Gone was the omnipresent bun knotted behind her head.

Her blonde tangle of hair hung in beautiful strands, concealing the upper part of her face, leaving only her mouth and chin visible. Her pink lips pursed in a tight line, presumably in concentration until she spoke without lifting her head.

"Close the door, please."

Y/N did as asked - she stepped forward, her heels muffled by the ornate rug covering the floor as she placed a hand on the leather backing of the chair in front of the professor's desk.

The shelves on the walls around the desk were filled with countless books, the titles consisting of books Y/N herself had read, each more familiar than the last.

Wildlife Undisclosed, Anatomy of the Canada Lynx, Wolves of the Pacific Northwest. Ornithology Today: Ospreys.

Professor McAdams impatiently pushed her hair back over her shoulder, pinned Y/N with a harsh stare, then dropped her gaze again. Polished wood reflected the stern expression gracing Professor McAdams' features as she studied the sheets splayed on the desk. The black button-up she wore hung dangerously open, the dip between her soft breasts on display.

'Did she dress so provocatively on purpose?'

Behind her, a large window displayed the quad, no doubt teeming with students studying for finals, far away from the vacant halls leading to the office. Y/N hoped they were the only ones in the science building, save a janitor or two.

The clock in the corner of the room ticked and Y/N finally couldn't handle the silence any longer.

"Professor McAdams?"

The woman ripped her gaze from the desk and settled it on Y/N, her hair falling back gracefully from her face as she studied Y/N.

"I only agreed to this meeting because I had to step in to do some last-minute grading so, please, tell me what I can do for you and make it quick."