6

Reneé

The scattered sound of rainfall woke me up from my sleep, initiating a gloomy day. On different occasions I would have slept in, the sound of rainfall being my lullaby. But I had my chemistry lab today and had to be in class. 

I quickly get up and start to get ready, trying not to make any noise in fear that I might wake Imani up. After a quick shower and throwing on a matching tracksuit set I sprinted out my dorm.

Before I could even process I hadn't packed an umbrella for school...

"Of course you would forget your umbrella," I scold myself quietly, watching as the rain continued at its quick pace.

"Reneé!" I hear someone yell behind me. Turning around I see James wave, before lightly jogging toward me.

"Hey James, you happen to have an umbrella on you?" I ask, turning on my phone and watching my time slot to get to the lab quickly diminishing. 

"Yes I do I'll go with you," He says, quickly grabbing my hand as we walk towards the doors, a large umbrella covering both of us from the violent rain. 

"Thank you James, I don't know what I would've done if you didn't have an umbrella," I said truthfully, starting to speed walk to match his pace. I planned on taking my braids out today, but that doesn't mean I should mess them up in the rain. 

"Don't worry, Imani actually texted asking if I had class today because I guess everyone else forgot to bring an umbrella to college," he replied looking down at me and shoving me into the rain slightly.

"JAMES!"

"SORRY!" He laughed out loud, offering to hold my bag in an act of reconciliation.

James and I had started to become closer friends after Imani confessed that they were dating. Talking to him about her and helping him out with date ideas were some of our favorite rituals. One time I helped him plan a little date in our dorm for Imani, and kicked myself out of my room for over five hours, but having that free time to get work done was rewarding. But outside of their relationship, it was nice to have another person with Ghanaian ancestry in my friend group.  We already have family plans to go to Ghana in the summer. 

"Hey James.." I trailed out. I had a question to ask about Zach, I mean they were both best friends. The awkward tension between Zach and I was over the roof, and the last time I saw him was two days ago, the day before my date with Aaron. I didn't understand his reaction at all, and I was confused about our relationship as well. 

"Yeaaa..." he replied cautiously, slowing his walk as the rain started to turn into a drizzle. 

"How's Zachariah, be truthful and raw don't hide anything from me," I point, the smile on his face faltering for a second before being replaced by a smirk. 

"He's fine just stressed from school you know, the usual," he says, switching on his phone and typing something on it.

"So he hasn't talked to you about our relationship, like why he's being weird." 

"Zach is being weird?" His movement stops, and he turns to look at me confusion and anger drawn on his face. Or anger? I don't know what emotion he was going through.

 "Well yeah, a lot has happened between both of us and I thought he might have talked to you about it since you guys are besties," I shove him slightly with my shoulder to alleviate the situation.

"Zach still hasn't talked to you? Are you serious?!" he whisper yells as we near the science lab. 

"We've talked but you know, it's just really awkward. And I miss all of us hanging out without that awkward tension. I know you feel it, the girls have mentioned it numerous times, and I don't know, I just, miss him," I confessed to James.