TWO✔️

Harrison

After storming out of the classroom, Devon and I headed to the familiar spot under the massive oak tree near the edge of the school. It was our go-to place, where we've shared secrets, swapped stories, and contemplated life's mysteries countless times before.

I slumped against the tree trunk, my irritation still simmering beneath the surface. Devon plopped down next to me; his ever-present grin still plastered on his face. "Dude, that was some scene back there," he remarked, nudging my shoulder playfully.

I shot him a sideways glance. "Glad you found it entertaining," I muttered, crossing my arms over my chest.

Devon laughed, that annoyingly infectious sound that could get on anyone's nerves. "Okay, okay, I'll lay off the jokes for now. But seriously, you gotta admit, it's like a classic rom-com setup. You know, the brooding alpha and the unexpected omega mate. Hollywood would be proud."

I rolled my eyes, unable to suppress a small smile despite myself. "Yeah, real hilarious."

Devon's expression turned more earnest. "Look, I know this isn't what you wanted, but maybe there's something to it. Mates aren't just about some cosmic magic or whatever. They're about finding someone who gets you, who can challenge you and support you, like, on a whole different level."

I sighed, the tension slowly starting to ebb away. "Yeah, you've said that already."

He nudged me again, this time more gently. "I know, but sometimes repetition helps things sink in, you know? Just give it some thought. And by the way, he wasn't all that bad-looking, right?"

I gave Devon a half-hearted shove. "Seriously, dude? You're really hung up on that part, huh? Don't you like, have a boyfriend or something?"

Devon grinned, his eyes glinting mischievously. "Hey, hey, hey, now while it is undeniable that my Kevin is definitely the cutest, it doesn't mean I can't appreciate aesthetic qualities in others, you know? But umm... don't tell him I said that."

"He's definitely got you wrapped around his little finger," I shook my head, chuckling.

Devon's grin remained; his expression sheepish. He didn't argue with that; after all, he was head over heels for Kevin.

"Yep, truly a lost cause," I teased, giving him a friendly pat on the back.

He pretended to pout, but his eyes sparkled with amusement. "Hey, love is a battlefield, man."

"Speaking of love and battles," I said, my tone shifting slightly. "Aren't you worried about falling for him too deeply? You're also about to turn 18."

Devon's smile faltered for a moment, his gaze drifting away. It was a heavy topic, one that Devon seemed hesitant to face. But sometimes, reality had a way of catching up with us, and I felt it was my duty as his friend to be the voice of reason.

He took a deep breath, his expression more serious. "Yeah, I know. It's just... It's complicated, you know? We're young, and yeah, the odds of being mates are slim to none, especially when it comes to us. But right now, I want to be with him and enjoy every moment we have."

I nodded, understanding the complexity of his feelings. "I get it, man. Just remember to stay grounded. We can't always control what the future holds, but we can make the most of the present."

If I were to be completely honest, I thought Devon was being a bit of an idiot. But given that we'd argued about this topic countless times before, I decided it was best to keep my mouth shut and let my friend enjoy his moment for now. All I could do was pray that the Moon Goddess didn't screw him over too much and if she did, I'd be here for him still.