6

"You are just full of smiles today." One of the other cooks said as I danced around the kitchen.

"What can I say? I'm in a really good mood." I replied as I stirred the contents in the bowl I was currently holding.

"I bet it has something to do with that hot guy who's always coming by."

I smiled and rolled my eyes. "Do you ever mind your own business."

"When it comes to you I don't." She joked. "You have just been looking so radiant lately."

"What can I say, he's one of a kind."

I poured the batter into a cake pan and placed it into the scorching hot oven. My alarm on my phone went off, telling me that it was the end of my shift. I took off my apron and hang it up at its designated spot and washed my hands before I gathered up all of my things.

"Ooo and you're leaving early again?! It's like you're a whole new person."

I laughed and picked up my box of dessert. "Close up when you finish. I have to hurry up and give Ben his dessert before it cools off."

"Ah, the cream puffs."

"That too." I joked. I winked and headed out the door before she had the chance to come up with a smart remark.

I was excited to be leaving work and spending time with Ben. I hadn't seen him all day and it was really getting to me, it was like something was missing. I was supposed to have lunch with him but had to cancel because the shop was just too busy. So as a way to make it up to him I thought it'd be nice to surprise him with his favorite treats. And it's a great excuse to see him again.

I rushed over towards his apartment with the cream puffs in the passenger seat. I parked my car out in the parking lot and walked to his apartment complex. When I made it to his floor, I walked over towards his door. My body was shaking with excitement and there was no way to contain it. I know I had to be smiling like a crazy person. I knocked on his door and hopped from foot to foot with the box swaying in my hand.

His door opened and there he stood in all of his glory still dressed in his work clothes. His black suit fitting him to perfection. He looked at me with complete surprise on his face. I jumped into his arms and hugged him as hard as I could.

"Surprise to see me?" I asked, burying my head in his chest.

"Very. What are you doing here?"

"I felt bad about lunch so I thought I'd make it up to you. I brought you those cream puffs you love so much." I replied.

I escaped from his arms and turned around and headed towards his kitchen. But unfortunately I didn't make it to the kitchen at all. The minute I turned around I was greeted by a woman, a very beautiful woman to be exact. She had gorgeous brown hair that stopped at her lower back. Her shiny locks made my brown strands appear dull. Her hazel eyes shined under the apartment lighting making me cower away from low confidence. And her smile was just as gorgeous as the rest of her. Immediately all excitement I once felt left my body.

"Hi, I'm Gloria." She said, stretching out her manicured hands.

"Carmen." I said shaking her hand.

Ben closed the door and walked over towards us looking a bit out of place. He kept scratching the back of his head and he wouldn't look me in the eyes.

"Carmen this is Gloria...my ex." He spoke the words I never thought I'd hear.

She came back.