3

My brown strands clung to my forehead as I worked my butt off in the back kitchen; helping my staff make different type of pastries to put out front. The heat from the oven was becoming unbearable but I couldn't stop working, not with the amount of orders we were getting. Usually I just stand around and make sure that everyone is doing their jobs properly and I'd chip in every once in a while. But today was extremely busy. It was to be expected with the way the weather had been treating us lately.

Since our first conversation a few days ago, I hadn't seen Ben for quite some time. The morning after I was in the process of wiping down my windows when I noticed that his corner was empty. There was no evidence of him occupying that space at all. It was bizarre, I hadn't noticed how I grew accustomed to seeing him lay or sit there. I couldn't help but feel as though I was at fault.

I should've never opened my big mouth. I thought to myself. But the feeling of guilt slowly faded as I used up my time to attend to my customers, like I did every day.

I put a batch of Cherry Turnovers into the oven and turned around to start on the next dessert. I was in the midst of making Coffee Cake when one of my staff members called out to me.

"Carmen! One of the customers is asking for you." The woman told me. "Don't worry about this, I'll take it from here." She said as she smiled widely. She gave me a certain look that I didn't know how to read.

I thanked her as I hurriedly wiped my hands on my apron. I walked out to the front and searched the crowded floor but no face looked familiar to me.

"It's that nice looking man over there." She told me as she pointed in the direction of a man sitting alone at a table, drinking his coffee from a mug. She winked at me and made her way back into the kitchen.

I snickered and rolled my eyes as I walked over towards my awaiting customer. "Hello, sir. You asked for me?" I said as I stood aside his table.

He looked up at me and smiled. "Carmen." He said. "It's me, Ben." He stood and looked down at me due to his height compared to mine. I wasn't good at guessing but to me he looked about 6'0.

"Ben." I replied, my heart fluttering as I said his name and looked at the man before me. "You look well."

And boy did he. Actually, well couldn't describe the way this man looked. His tired face now looked well rested. His eyes...oh his eyes glowed in such a way that I had to force myself to stop staring at them in awe. He had shaved off his beard and it gave me a chance to see his tense jaw line and nice lips. Ben wore a crisp white sweater and black pants that only added to his clean look. His hair looked as though it had just gotten cut and the dark brown strands lay upon his head with a few strands that fell onto his forehead. I just wanted to run my hands through his hair and trace his lips with my fingers.

"I didn't know you'd be so busy today." He said, bringing me out of my state of admiration.

I took a deep breath to steady my breathing. "Neither did I..." I was acting as though we never held a conversation before.

"I apologize if I'm intruding."

"Oh, no. No, you're fine." I smiled slightly.

"I was just wondering if you'd like to go out some time."

My eyes widened as the words spilled from his mouth. I opened my mouth to speak but found it hard to form a proper sentence.

"She'd love to." Said another one of my staff members, as she cleared off his table. She snickered and picked up his coffee mug before she walked away.

"What she said." I replied, finally. How embarrassing, I can't even speak for myself.

"Okay great. How's tomorrow night?"

I nodded not quite sure how to answer that question without sounding too excited.

"Perfect. I'll pick you up after your shift. If that's fine with you?"

"8pm."

Ben smiled causing his eyes to squint a little. "It's a date."