2

I hate the cold. I hate anything remotely similar to cold weather. If I could have it my way I would wish for it to be spring and summer all year round, but sadly I have no control over that what so ever.

The next morning I awoke to the frosty air touching my foot that sneaked its way out of my bed coverings. It was one of the worst ways to wake up, that and the loud, obnoxious alarm interrupting my quite peaceful sleep. I shoved the blankets off of my body and threw on my long and cozy robe. I looked at the thermostat, mounted on my wall in the hallway and groaned. It was busted again. I made a mental note to call someone to come over and fix it soon. Until then I'd just have to use my trusty, old heater.

I quickly got dressed and carried two blankets to my car and threw them in the back seat. As I was pulling up to my beloved shop, I saw a police officer talking to the man from the night before. I parked my car around back and brought inside the blankets. As I began to open up, I noticed that the policeman hadn't left and his face was red from frustration.

"Sir, I will only repeat this one more time. You cannot be here and I'm asking you kindly to move."

"I can't." Mystery man replied. His voice laced with sleep and little to no emotion. Is it sad to say that it brought me joy to know that he isn't only short with me?

I watched as the officer retrieved a pair of handcuffs from his waistband. I rushed over to the two in an attempt to stop him from arresting the guy. "It's okay, officer. I don't mind him staying here." It was the first thing to pop into my mind.

He looked at me with uncertainty in his eyes, and then looked back at the man who didn't seem to care that he was about to be handcuffed. "I own this shop, and it really doesn't bother me that he lays in this spot." I added.

The police man sighed and put his cuffs away. "Well, I guess it's alright then. But you let me know if he gives you any problems."

"Sure thing." I smiled sweetly.

"You have a good day maim....and you too sir." He hopped back into his cop car and rode off without another word.

"Thanks." Mr. Short Worded whispered to me.

A slight breeze crept its way through the strands of my clothing and nipped at my skin. I shivered and stomped my foot in the process. I turned and sprinted through my shop doors. I started brewing some coffee and poured the hot liquid into two carryout containers. I then carried the coffee and two blankets outside and approached the man as he sat against the shop's sturdy wall.

"Here, I thought these would help you stay warm."

He turned and looked at me, eyeing the coffee in my hands and the blankets tucked underneath my arms. He chuckled and shook his head. "I'm not a charity case." His deep voice rang in my ears.

I sighed and smacked my teeth. He's so rude to those whose sole purpose is to help him. "I know." I placed the blankets onto the cold ground and took a seat beside him. "I'm well aware as to why you stay here. Now please take this, it's on me." I replied shoving the coffee into his chest. I was surprised to feel something hard hit my hand, but I kept my shock at bay.

He smirked and took the cup out of my hand and gladly took a sip of the hot beverage. "Since you think you know so much...why am I sitting here?"

I rolled my eyes and drank my own cup of the bitter liquid. "I saw when the news did a story on you, something about you refusing to move from this spot over some girl you love."

"This is where we first met." He corrected. "I'm hoping she comes back to me." I saw his face drop when he spoke those words.

It was at that moment that I fully took in his features. He had the darkest brown eyes I had ever seen, it was as though I was watching dark chocolate being made right at the source, just by staring in them. An unkempt beard framed his chin and mouth, making him look as though he didn't care about his appearance. A hat covered his head, so I wasn't sure how his hair looked but I figured that it looked just as unpleasant as the rest of him. His face showed how tired he felt: heavy bags were under his eyes, a frown was plastered on his face. I could remember the first day he set up on this corner and the look of hope in his eyes. But as time passed a little bit of the hope left with it. Just the thought, made my heart ache for him.

"I think what you're doing is the sweetest thing in the world."

"If only everyone felt the same way you do." He took another sip from his cup. "What is your name?"

"Carmen. Yours?"

"Ben."

I smiled as I finally put a face to a name.

"Tell me, Carmen. Do you think she'll come back?"

I looked at my hands as they wrapped around the cup I was holding, as if the answer was written on the lid.

"Be straight with me." He said, his voice bringing me back to the present.

I took a deep sigh, and looked him straight in the eyes. "No." I whispered.

A/N: I just wanted to take the time and thank Zanetor for showing this story such love and support. I dedicated one of my favorite chapters to you as a way to show my appreciation. You really made me happy with my decision to post this story on wattpad. ^_^