Chapter Forty Two

Start from the beginning

Hades sighed but nodded. "You are so much like your mother."

"And I will take that as a compliment," Mal said with a smile before turning to Beast. "As for you."

"Ooh, run Beastie," Hades said as Mal's tone had grown low and hard.

"Now Mal, I'm allowed to buy presents for my grandchildren aren't I?" Beast said, not heeding Hades' advice.

"Yes, you can buy presents for the kids but after you check with us," Mal said, her eyes glinting dangerously. "Would you want your father-in-law buying something dangerous and giving it to Ben? I seem to remember a story about you kiboshing Belle's father building Ben's cradle because he wanted to include an axe throwing attachment!"

"Huh...I like this man and I've never met him," Hades said.

"Dad, just nod," Ben said as he looked at Beast. "I'm not even going to ask where you got the carpet though I suspect Aladdin assisted you?"

"Actually it was your friend Emir," Beast said. "He said, and I quote, that you were denying him his chance to spoil his honorary niece and nephew and therefore it was his duty to make sure they had a flying carpet."

"Did you tell him he's insane?"

"He said you'd say that Ben and he'd like me to tell you that he appreciates the compliment but would also like to let you know that being normal is vastly overrated. He'd also like to know why your go-to descriptor of him is 'insane' considering what Gaston tried to do to your grandfather."

"Huh...I find myself wondering that as well Sunspot," Hades said.

Ben shook his head. "I've been calling him insane about once a day since we were twelve and now he questions it?"

"Ben, I'm sorry to say that I don't have a good look into the inner workings of Emir's mind despite the fact that I consider him a second son."

"...I'm honestly surprised Chip didn't burst in here outraged when you said that."

"Well it's because he's secure enough to know I also consider him a second son."

"Actually, it's because he's away at an art showing for Lucas and I think Adam needs to work on his math skills," Mal spoke up and shook her head as both Ben and Beast looked at her; surprise evident on both of their faces. "What? Chip is my brother-in-law! I'm going to converse with him...and Lucas wanted to know what brand of sketch books I liked in case they were on sale at the showing."

"Nice of him," Hades said.

"I got Carlos to help him out with a tech issue Lucas was having with his art tablet," Mal said. "Though I'm pretty sure Lucas would have gotten me the sketchbooks regardless but he and Chip know by now that VKs don't like 'owing' anyone anything. This way, at least, he's just returning the favor."

"And you haven't tried to let him know family doesn't have to do that?"

"I get free sketchbooks out of the deal; I might be Queen and a Godling but I am only human dad!"

"Mali, by calling yourself a Godling, you are in fact not human," Hades said with a small snort of amusement.

"Yeah, yeah," Mal said, waiving her hand as if she was waving off an annoying fly. "Anyway, we're not talking about me. We're talking about you two and how you need to stop spoiling the kids! Especially since you both have young kids to spoil!"

"What makes you think they haven't spoiled them?" Ben asked with a small chuckle. "Mom's already made Geene her own private library across from the twins'. Actually, she made one for Rea too since those two are practically inseparable."