Chapter 9: The Mcqueen

June, 2013

After multiple attempts at making different rigs and treadmills, all of which ended up breaking because they couldn't handle Legai's lightning, Ikemi started getting frustrated, "That's it, I'm making a headband. It worked for Aajiah, I'll find a way to make it work for you." She says, throwing her hands up in defeat as Legai stepped off another smoking artificial treadmill. Legai points at her, "Hey! Whoa! You aren't gonna just dampen my powers are you?" He asks suspiciously. Jennifer raises an eyebrow, knowing that Ikemi knows better than to mess with her son. Ikemi replies, "Of course not, but I think it's the only way to be able to track your powers without you burning everything.". "And what do I do once I put it on?" Legai asks. "I don't know, run outside I guess. Somewhere where you aren't limited so we can reach your potential." She says, typing away on a personal tablet. "Alright fine, but I want mine in black." Legai responds. Ikemi rolls her eyes chuckling, "Of course you do.".

2 days later, Legai is bragging to Jackson about his new speed, "Wait, wait, lemme get this straight. You've now been too strong for Ikemi's inventions? This being the same Ikemi that was able to contain Aajiah, who we don't even fully understand yet?" Jackson asks in disbelief. Ikemi sends a small ball of fire at Jackson's feet for teasing her as she walks past him, "Try not to rub it in." She says playfully. "Also, you won't beat me for long, this is the second prototype of the headband and it should work." She said, determined to not let this project be the one to defeat her mind. All of the children, The Doctor and Jennifer go outside along with a couple scientists to monitor Legai's progress. Ikemi fits the headband on Legai's head, which is connected to her tablet, "Alright Legai, all you need to do is focus, and run really fast. As fast as you can, ok?" She says, trying to make sure he understands. "Yeah, right. Think hard, run fast. Got it." He says, nodding his head emphatically. Ikemi shakes her head, "No, I'm sorry, it's not that simple. When you go faster, your cells connect with the static in the air. This isn't just a motion you're making, it's more of a state of being. It'll take a while to get the hang of, but for now I just want you to focus." She says, and Legai stands ready, closing his eyes and slowing his breathing. Ikemi continued, going back and forth between looking at Legai and checking the data from the headband on her tablet, "Just....focus. Listen. Listen to the static. Feel the lightning in you, then around you. Then, when you're ready, breathe, and run." She says as she steps back to join the rest of the kids as they watch on. Legai sits, semi-embarrassed, in front of everyone as they watch in anticipation. 

Jackson leans over to whisper to Ikemi, "Nice pep-talk." He said sarcastically. She replies, typing at her tablet, "Thanks, but I'm 90% sure it won't work." She says as they both share a laugh. "It won't work when I can hear you talking about me." Legai comments. He tries to ignore them and focuses, and he begins to feel the static. He sees the waves firing off as little signals, feeling like he could just reach out and touch them, which he does. He jolts forwards, then stops, startling everyone as they let out a shocked gasp. He does it again, and again, and then he went over the horizon of the island, before coming back from the other side, covered in dirt and water. The kids erupt in applause as Legai comes to an abrupt stop, tumbling to the ground, little sparks of lightning fading from his body. Ikemi runs through the information on her tablet, absolutely stunned. Jennifer comes over excited, "What did you get?" She asks, dodging the excited children as they celebrate. Ikemi responds, "In the 10 seconds that he was running, he ran around the entire island. Which is 612 miles in diameter. That means he just ran over 220,000 miles per hour." She says in shock, looking at Legai who was on the ground, gasping for air. Lenani looks at her now brother in shock. She'd always seen him as a mentor, helping her grow through her powers lovingly at the same pace that he has, and it's done wonders for their relationship as friends, and even siblings. But superspeed? That would be just about impossible.