Chapter 2: The Visitor

March, 2012

          Jennifer clutches the metal bat and speaks loudly through the door, "Who are you?" Her voice demanded. "A friend." The man replied in a friendly voice, smiling at the peephole. "Not good enough." Jennifer responds bluntly, the grit in her voice showing how tired she is. The man reluctantly answered, "I am called The Doctor. You've never heard of me I'm sure, but I assure you that you can trust me." and he flashed a deceiving smile. His perfectly straight white teeth pissed Jennifer off more than the fact that a man in a lab coat was asking her of all people to trust him. Why did it have to be them? Why did it have to be her? She rolled her eyes, "You aren't welcome here. Get off my property." She ordered. A sly grin grew across The Doctor's face, "We have a way to help your son's... 'condition'." His voice gave off a certain energy. Not exactly pleading to be heard, but coercing to obey. Using Jennifer's main focus, her biggest fear, against her. A mental onslaught her brain wasn't ready for, and wasn't strong enough to fight against at first. Her eyebrows raised as she stopped in her tracks. The mention of Legai scared her first, but then it angered her more. She stomped back to the door, swinging it open and pointing the bat in The Doctor's face, "You will not touch him." Her nose crinkled and her brow furrowed. The Doctor cocked his neck back as he looked down at the bat sticking in his face, softly placing his hand on it and leading it away from him, "If you think we're here to hurt him, you're sadly but understandably mistaken. We only want to help him to learn to control the gift he's been given." His calm and reassuring tone stayed just as still as the uneasing grin on his face. 

          Jennifer grew more and more angry as he spoke, "And how exactly do you plan on helping him? Because if it's anything that involves strapping him to a table, I'll knock you out on this porch." She said, preparing the bat with both hands. "We simply want to offer him a chance." The Doctor said in a dismissive head nod, tilting his head to the side. "What chance?" Jennifer growled. "The chance to have a normal life. A life where he woudln't need to worry about his own safety, nor you. A chance to experience what it's like to not be the only child like him." He spoke with such faith in his words it was displacing her own confidence in her way of thinking. Her eyes grew wide, "There are...others? Like him?" She couldn't believe it. Other children in the world facing the same thing as her and Legai. Was it even possible? "Not exactly like him, but they are.. gifted.. like him. Alone like him. We gave them each other, gave them a home. Taught them how to use their abilities." "And did you take em' from their families too?" Jennifer accuses. The Doctor looked down, "Unfortunately, these children had no families to speak of," He says, handing Jennifer the clipboard in his hand, "It would seem you are one of a kind." He cupped his hands behind his back as Jennifer flipped through the pages on the clipboard. There are 8 pages, 6 of which focusing on one of 6 different children, with pictures of them to match. 

          The oldest was 16, and the youngest... "Oh my God... 8 years old? And it says this one's 'gift' is unknown, what does that mean?" Jennifer said, unable to look up from the pages. "Does that mean you're interested in joining us?" The Doctor's eyebrow's raised. Jennifer didn't know how to answer. The Doctor knew she was hooked, and was ready to reel her in, "We help these children by giving them support they could never get anywhere else. We have designed our facility to aid these children hone in on each of their respective abilities, while also catering to their personal needs. We could give you the help you need as well. For his sake." Jennifer's mind was too scattered and cluttered to respond. The Doctor continues, sealing the deal, "How about this, all the information you need is on this clipboard, I'll leave you this to look over as well as my card," He looked down at his pocket and pulled out a shiny white card with an 7 digit number on it, "If you feel like this is best for your son, give me a call." He softly placed the card in Jennifer's hand. Jennifer was so preoccupied with all she was looking at, she didn't see The Doctor's vibrant yellow irises peering over his jet black sun glasses. He flashed a smirk before pushing his glasses back up to cover his eyes, leaving them again in a pool of empty void, "We hope to see you real soon." He says, before walking off the porch, the company with him getting in the car and driving off. "Sir," One of them spoke, "How do you know she'll be on board?" She asks. "Because they always are." The Doctor replied.

          Jennifer watches them drive off and goes back inside, sitting the card and clipboard ont he Dinnin Room table. Legai emerges from the bathroom excited, "Mom! Mom! Look!" He says, immediately grabbing Jennifer's attention. He shows off what he was so excited about, which was a glowing hand of green lightning. It didn't go anywhere, it just sat in his hand, a constant source of a dim light. "Wow! That's... great honey, really great." Jennifer says, flashing a grimaced and convincing grin. Later that night they watch a movie together, and after a few failed attempts to use Legai's powers to make popcorn, thankfully outside, they surrender to just using the microwave. "The Little Rascals" was always his favorite. Watching the kids go on stupid adventures together all for the power of friendship and love is what kept him satisfied with not being a part of the outside world, or any world. But he was her world. And she did whatever she thought was best for him. But how could she keep going like this? How could she expect him to keep going like this? As she sat at the Dinning Room table, looking back and forth through the information, she realizes The Doctor was right. She's nowhere near prepared to deal with what Legai has going on. And the thought of him finally being able to be with other people, let alone people like him? She lets out a heavy sigh, weighing her options carefully.

          'I've spent the past 7 years trying to do what's best for him, but if I screw this up I will never forgive myself.' She thinks to herself, as she gets up and walks towards her room 'What's best for Legai comes first, always.' She thinks, with the card held tightly in her hand. She pulls out her phone as she goes into her room, "Hey bubba!" She yells to Legai, "I gotta take a call right quick, you keep watching the movie ok?" She says, as she waits for a reply. Soon enough she hears a high pitched cheery voice say, "Okay!" come from the living room. Jennifer closes the door to her room before dialing the number on the card. She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes, and calls the number. It rings.....and finally a man picks up on the other side, his staticky voice answering the call, "Ms. Artorian. So glad to receive your call." The voice said with a smug tone, one where you could tell through the phone that they were smiling. Jennifer replies, flat toned, trembling as she fears this may be the wrong decision, but she takes another deep breath, and speaks, "What do you want me to do?".