Chapter 8: The Training Games

April, 2012

The next 3 days were spent collecting samples of D.N.A. Blood, skin cells, hair, as well as more studies of Legai's lightning. Thanks to their research, and some help with Ikemi, they found out much more than Jennifer could have ever found out on her own, "So? What have you found?" Jennifer asks with anticipation. Ikemi, who is single-handedly monitoring Legai as he lays in a bed in a hospital-like room, responds while typing on a keyboard in the room to pull up their findings, "We actually found a lot of incredible things," She said, fixing her glasses as she looked up at Jennifer, "We all know he has bioelectricity. But from his D.N.A samples, it looks deeper than that. His cells are literally bonded by electricity. It's more or less what he's made of." She says, in awe, skimming over the information on a clipboard as she's talking. Jennifer looks at Legai with concern on her face, "Is he gonna be ok?" She asked through shuddering breaths. Ikemi responds, "More than ok. His body seems to be resistant to most forms of heat, the bond between his cells also gives him a certain amount of durability which in turn increases his strength. Not to mention a boosted immune system. All there is left to do now is....test the limits of his lightning." She says, turning to him, as he lay sedated in the medical bed, his heartbeat generating an echoing beeping throughout the small room.

The next year was spent studying, training, experimenting and data collecting. Legai had gotten proficient with his powers enough to the point where he could eventually use his lightning to form a sort of "super punch", a regular punch that was empowered by a small, controlled explosion from his lightning. He also began training with the other children. After a while, his training upgraded from training with practice dummies to S.T.A.T's, or Synthetic Target Android Trainers. These S.T.A.T's were made to simulate a live opponent in battle, and were always used to train the other children. They presented a fair challenge for Legai, and Jennifer started seriously worrying about The Facility's methods for training these children, "Hey, are you really sure this is safe for them?" She asks The Doctor as they watch over the gymnasium as the kids fight off the robots. "Yes, Synthetic Target Android Trainers, or S.T.A.T's as we call them, are perfectly safe. The children have been using these for years, and even if they get hit by one of them, it'd be like getting hit by a plastic baseball bat. Trust me the children are just fine. These robots were actually Levia's idea" The Doctor says, reassuring Jennifer as she looks on anxiously. The faint echoes of grunts of effort from the children can be heard even from inside the room as they battled the S.T.A.T bots. Legai had been trying to collaborate with some of the children, including Levia who was the most reluctant to participate as she believes fighting alongside them is bad enough, but having to use their powers for them was just embarrassing. They were participating in a tournament, and Legai, Levia and Jackson were the only ones still in the game.

They were all huddled against a wall, and Legai yelled out as the S.T.A.T bots charged at them, "Levia! Water bomb! Now!" He says, in a panicked voice. Levia braces for the oncoming attack, "Not the time!" She says, dismissing his request while throwing the last of her daggers at one of the bots. Legai is forced to brace as well, "Oh yea!? Cause I can't think of a better time!" He says, rocking back and forth on his feet nervously. Levia grunts annoyed, "Ugh, Fine! Hurry up!" She says, summoning a small ball of water and causing it to float in her hand. Legai gets excited, and shoots his lightning into the ball, charging it. Jackson yells out, "I'll buy you some time!" He said, charging back at the bots and fighting them off the best of his abilities. Legai nor Levia had the time to disagree with him since he was severely outnumbered. Levia lets out a sigh of discomfort, as some stray bolts hit her hand lightly, shocking her, "Hurry up!" She yells. "I'm going, it's an art not a science!!" Legai responds rushed. Jackson was able to take out 2 of the 7 S.T.A.T bots before being hit, and being taken out of the game, joining the rest of them on a wall as they watched attentively. The Doctor was also intrigued, as he had never seen this strategy before, "Extraordinary.." He said in awe. Jennifer watches on, biting her nails in suspense and fear. Levia yells at Legai, "Is it done yet?!" She asks. Legai responds, "Almost!" He said. Levia looks around to see the S.T.A.T bots closing in, "LEGAI!!" She yells out, rushing Legai. Legai releases his lightning, "NOW!!" He yells. Levia wastes no time, throwing the now explosive ball of electrified water at the S.T.A.T bots. Upon impact, the water splashed across all 5 of them burning and short circuiting them as they fell to the floor depowering. All of the previously disqualified children erupted in celebration as they congratulated the final contestants of this season's Training Games. The Doctor looks down and admires Legai's display of power, "Truly extraordinary.." He said, turning and walking back to check the readings on this morning's training session.