chapter fifteen

Chapter 15. The Father and Daughter

The entrance hall of Clorance Manor buzzed with anticipation as every member of the staff gathered, standing in a neat line to welcome the safe return of Count Steven to the Main Manor. It had been nearly six months since his last visit, as his duties often kept him occupied in the second manor situated near the Imperial Palace where his business affairs demanded his attention

The Count's steadfast butler, who himself was the son of Steven's late father's loyal servant, opened the carriage door with utmost reverence. As Count Steven descended from the carriage, he turned to face the Manor where he had been born and raised. Mixed emotions stirred within him, for within its walls resided both painful memories and the cherished moments he had shared with the woman he adored - the late Countess Dahlia.

"We greet the esteemed Lord of Clorance. Welcome back, my lord," the chorus of Manor Staff resonated, their heads respectfully bowed in unison.

"I offer my greetings to you, my lord, Count Stevenson Clorance, on your safe return," the voice of Gillian Pinonua, the eldest son of Baron Pinonua, reached Steven's ears.

"It has indeed been a considerable time. How have you been managing the affairs of Clorance Manor?" Steven reciprocated the greeting, acknowledging the young assistant butler, Gillian, whose hazel hair stood out amidst the staff. With a nod, Steven silently conveyed his expectation of Gillian's response.

"It has been manageable, my lord," the young man replied.

Steven's lips curled into a slight smile, his confidence affirmed. Seems like I made the right choice in hiring him for the role, he thought, recognizing Gillian's competence and reliability.

The attention of the gathered staff was abruptly interrupted by the Head Maid, Aiko, who also happened to be the Count's former nanny.

"The young lady of Clorance, Cassia Clorance, is now making her entrance," Aiko announced.

All eyes turned towards the staircase as Cassia descended, even the Count himself, who hadn't seen her for half a year, found himself captivated by her appearance. He couldn't help but be taken aback, as her outfit differed from what he had anticipated.

Wasn't she fond of dresses adorned with intricate jewelry designs? The Count can't help but questioned silently in the back of his head.

As Cassia's eyes were half closed as she makes her way down the stairs, the Count realized how huge the resemblance of his daughter and his beloved wife.

Cassia's eyes, half-closed as she gracefully descended the stairs, further emphasized the striking resemblance she bore to her departed mother. The simplicity of her dress evoked memories of the very outfit his wife had worn when they first met at the town square, near the central fountain.

However, as their gazes met, the Count instinctively averted his eyes. This time, it was not because of the similarity of Cassia's red eyes to his mother, but rather because it triggered recollections of scenes he had encountered in his dreams, no rather it's a nightmare.

❛ ━━・❪ 🌹 ❫ ・━━ ❜

"I told you, Mira, I'm not wearing that dress. It's just too much, too extravagant. I don't like it!" I exclaimed, my voice filled with determination.

Mira has been persistently urging me to wear the dress they picked, insisting it perfectly matches my style and that I've worn similar dresses when meeting my father, the Count.

However, I've never been fond of such styles. Even in the past, I had no inclination to wear expensive dresses. I rarely left my room, whether it was at the dorm or when I lived alone in my condo. So why should I bother buying unnecessary things?