chapter seven

Chapter 7. Unable to Remember

Mira's complexion paled as my question slipped out, leaving her visibly shaken.

"My lady, what do you imply?" she stammered, her face reflecting a mix of confusion and concern.

Although I couldn't escape the burden of guilt for deceiving her, my actions were driven not solely by self-interest, but rather by the impact they would have on Mira's future.

I must devise a strategy, a survival blueprint, to navigate away from paths that might lead me towards an ominous fate, a death flag.

With that in mind I have come to conclude my list on how to survive as a reader who reincarnated inside my favorite novel and became the main villainess destined to die, or so that is how I could describe my situation right now.

#1 - Change Cassia's reputation
#2 - Earn the trust of the manor's people
#3 - Gather more intel
#4 - Be cautious on who to interact
#5 - Must develop skills

That goes without saying, I must first accomplish the number one on my list.

Cassia, notorious as the villainess in aristocratic society, has hit rock bottom in terms of reputation. She is perceived as a wicked noble lady.

However, how does feigning memory loss help me in this situation? The answer is simple: by acting as though I have lost my memories, those around me will be less suspicious as I gradually change my personality. My plan is to establish a new, favorable image of Cassia Clorance. This is one of the major factors that could help me survive.

Considering the possibility that I have truly died in the real world and been reincarnated in the novel's realm, I am bound to live among these individuals for the duration of my stay in the palace. They not only oversee the mansion but also tend to my well-being, food, and clothing. It is crucial that I treat these people with kindness and foster positive relationships with each of them.

Henceforth, I, Cassia Clorance, have firmly resolved that my primary objective shall be to #AvoidDeathFlags.

The lengths I would go to alter this fucked up fate of Cassia Clorance is truly astonishing. This being my second life, bestowed upon me by some divine power, it's infuriating to be cast in the role of the villainess, destined for a tragic demise. Nevertheless, I am left with no other option but to take action and rewrite this cursed destiny of mine.

"My lady, do you truly not recall who I am?" Mira's voice jolted me back to reality. Her trembling voice seemed on the brink of tears.

I never expected Mira to react like this simply because her mistress no longer remembers her. Doesn't she recall being shouted at by Cassia just yesterday? According to Cassia's memories, she even broke a few things in front of Mira. Shouldn't Mira hold some resentment or bitterness towards Cassia?

Not that I desire a cold and distant demeanor from her, of course. But wouldn't anyone react that way? I am well aware of the atrocities committed by Cassia. She was truly wicked. That's why I would expect Mira to harbor at least some anger or resentment towards Cassia.

"I'm sorry, but I am unable to recall anything. I don't remember my name or even my age. None of your faces appear familiar to me. I sincerely apologize."

I said that all with a sad expression and tone of voice.

As a result, murmurs among the maids began to circulate throughout the room. I lowered my head and couldn't conceal the smirk that formed on my lips.

"Oh my goodness! Could it be that the young lady is suffering from amnesia?"

"It's possible. Isn't it strange that she hasn't thrown any tantrums like she usually does?"