Chapter 1: life in Academy city

During this time I always have these questions on my mind.

Are all people equal?

These days, all society loves to talk about is equality.

People are calling for men and women to be treated equally, and shouting for society to get rid of inequality.

They call for high employment rates for women, personal-use cars for everyone, and they go as far as to find fault with the order of the register of names.

People even advocate equality for people with disabilities, and now the public is encouraged to stop using the term "disabled people."

Children are being taught that everyone is equal.

Is that really true?

I have my doubts.

Men and women have different roles if they have different abilities.

People with disabilities are still disabled, no matter what term they call disabled people.

None of this has meaning if no one pays attention to it.

In other words, the answer is no.

People are unequal beings; there are no truly "equal" people.

Once upon a time, a great man once said, 'Heaven does not create man above another man, nor does it create any man beneath another.'

However, this does not mean that everyone is equal.

The passage doesn't end there

Here is the continuation. He asks,

"We are all born equal, but why do we have different jobs and social statuses?"

That was written in the second half of the passage.

Is it a difference because one struggled with academics or because one didn't try hard enough?

A difference is created there. That's the famous "scholarship studies." These teachings haven't changed at all, even in modern day.

But I also don't think it's correct to say that people should live on only using instincts because things aren't fair.

After all, humans are creatures that can think. The word equality is a lie, but inequality is also an unacceptable fact.

I tried to find a meaning in those questions.

At any rate humans change over time based on their actions.

However, the situation is particularly complicated and serious in Academy City...

♢♦♢

Academic city

A huge, completely independent educational and research institution city located in the Tama area of ​​western Tokyo. It is a city of students where 80% of the total population of 2.3 million people are students. The science in this town is several decades more advanced than the outside world, and the most advanced science is in the research and development of artificial supernatural powers.

A special power that can accomplish things that normal humans cannot.

Fire from your hands. Manipulate electric shock. You can manipulate water currents, move things without touching them, and even read your opponent's mind.

Nearly all of the students living in this city had psychic development built into their school timetable.

Mid-July in the middle of early summer.