Cuts Like a Knife

*Disclaimer: I do NOT OWN Blue Exorcist (Duh).

"You should just die"

"If you ever hurt one of my friends I'll kill you"

The words kept going round in Rin's head, not allowing him to sleep that night. It had been over a week, and he was still being treated like an outcast, someone who could go off at any moment and destroy the cram school. Although most of the whispering occurred when he was not around to here it, Rin wasn't stupid. He knew what the others were saying behind his back, and with his new heightened senses the situation was that much worse. Whispered insults that were supposed to be out of earshot rang through his mind, and the feelings of hatred, mistrust, fear, and disdain were suffocating. He could hardly stand to attend his classes anymore. Yukio was no better. Rin could still feel his fear and anxiety that flared up whenever Rin was around.

After another hour of tossing and turning, Rin gave up on sleep. He stole out of his room and onto the rooftop, where the cold air would hopefully clear his mind. As he sat lost in a spiral of depressing thoughts, Kuro interrupted him.

'Rin, what are you doing? Why are you sad? Do you want to play?' the cat saidhe thought to him.

"I was just trying to clear my head, Kuro. Now that everybody knows I am a demon and the son of Satan, they ignore me and say mean things about me. I tried to give it time and keep up a positive attitude, but I am just so tired of it! Honestly, sometimes I think I should just end it all, at least that way this pain would stop." Rin whispered the last part to himself as a burning tear rolled down his face.

Meanwhile, Kuro had curled up on Rin's lap, allowing him to stroke his fur and trying to offer comfort through his presence. After an hour of silence, Rin felt another unwelcome presence join him on the roof.

"What are you doing still up? Shouldn't you be getting some rest before classes begin?" The purple-haired clown decided to start up a conversation.

"Honestly, what is the point? Everyone hates me and I won't be able to learn anything anyway." Rin's voice lacked all emotion, which worried Mephisto. A depressed half-demon could lead to a dead one, neither of which would be good for his plans. Something had to be done about the situation before anything dire happened.

"All right, Rin, I can see you are still struggling with the way your classmates are treating you. Are you really giving up on everything you've worked so hard for just because of a few harsh words?"

"It isn't just that! My whole life, I have been called a demon and a monster. Then, I recently found out that I actually am a demon! Both the person I thought was my father and my twin brother knew the truth, and had known about it for some time. While I was struggling to live a lie, Yukio was training to become an exorcist. Dad died, and Yukio blamed me for it. I still blame myself for his death, and have to live with that guilt every day. Then, for the first time in my life, I had friends! Actual friends who cared for me! And after the camping trip fiasco, where my true nature was revealed, they all pulled away from in in disgust. I can hear them whispering about how lucky they are that the 'demon' hasn't killed them yet, and how they are surprised I haven't been kicked out of the school or locked up by the Vatican. Every time I get too near to one of them, even Yukio, I am smothered by their fear and other emotions which are all aimed towards me! I can't keep living like this!" By the end of Rin's tirade, Mephisto could barely make out his half-brother's words between sobs.

"All right. I will help you little brother." Mephisto had a sad smile on his face as he looked at the young half-demon.

"Really? How?" Rin was shocked at Mephisto's offer.

"I will help you leave the school. However, you must promise to go wherever I send you without complaining, and nobody can know that you are leaving. You can NEVER tell Yukio about where you go or what you experience. Understood?"

"Yes. I accept. When can I leave?"

"Now." Mephisto took off, leading Rin to a clearing in the woods, where a familiar sight met his eyes.

"All you have to do is step into the gate. If you embrace it, your passage will be quick and painless, but if you fight it the journey will be long and painful. I have notified our brothers of your arrival, and they look forward to meeting you." Mephisto silenced Rin's attempt at protesting with a glare, daring the boy to go back on their bargain.

Willing to do anything that will take his pain away, Rin stepped into the gate and calmly allowed it to ensnare him in its depth