Concerning Kappa

The Kappa was a scaly creature, with light blue skin and a turtle-like shell in a mixture of blues and greens on its back.  It stood about half as tall as the average human and had webbed hands and feet.  Atop its head was a curved, plate-like indent filled with water.  According to legend, if the plate ever completely dried out the Kappa would lose its powers and die.

As Rin crept towards the Kappa, he could hear it mumbling to itself.

"Can't let them finds us.  No.  Better the exorcists and quick death than judgement from the King of Demons.  Just wants to drown people I does.  Nasty treaty!"

Rin mentally scoffed.  Of course the exorcists would only provide a quick death if they didn't suspect the demon of being part of a larger conspiracy.  He continued towards the Kappa, making eye contact with Amaimon who was coming up to him from the opposite side.  Yukio had been told to stay back and out of their way.

The two moved to attack the Kappa from either side, swords drawn silently.  At the last moment, the creature managed to dodge out of the way, drawing his own dual blades at the same time.  The trio began to battle in earnest.

Yukio stood watching the battle that was almost too fast to follow.  Rin and Amaimon didn't even need to speak to each other in order to coordinate their attacks.  The Kappa, although swift and agile, never really stood a chance.  Rin and Amaimon had soon managed to subdue the demon, rendering it unconscious and binding it for transportation.  Yet again, they worked silently together.  It was obvious that this routine had been followed many times before as the duo worked around each other with practiced ease.  Yukio was forced to squash the twinge of jealousy he still felt when he saw how close Amaimon and Rin had become over the years.  He regretted the fact that Rin and he were never able to experience something similar.  He previously would have held Rin entirely at fault, but was now able to admit that he would never have been comfortable enough around his brother to reach that level of easy familiarity and trust.

Once Rin and Amaimon had finished cleaning  their blades and picking up their packs, the trio was ready to return with their new addition.  The return trip was largely silent, and Yukio was once again carried through the night, this time by Kuro in his larger form.  Behemoth was tasked with transporting the prisoner.  As the trio neared their destination, Yukio worked up the courage to ask Rin a question.

"Will you be coming back?  I have really missed  you and would like an opportunity to get to know the person you have become."  His voice was soft and timid, as though he was afraid to hear the answer to his question.

"I don't know.  This world has caused me a lot of grief and pain over the years, and I don't feel like there is anything for me to come back to.  After all, it took me almost killing myself and then leaving for any of you to realize that your treatment of me was wrong.  And even then, when I finally did return, you all still treated me like a troublesome idiot.  The people of Gehenna respect me as a person and as heir to the Demon Throne.  I also have a lot of responsibilities as the Demon Prince.  Honestly, I dislike being here and cannot wait to return home."  Rin's response was serious and thought out.  

Yukio sighed, knowing that his twin was right, no matter how uncomfortable those  truths made him feel.  He had been incapable of accepting the fact that Rin could take care of himself and was more than capable of controlling his abilities and emotions.  The mask that Rin had presented to the world had been created out of what Rin knew people expected to see when they looked at him.  Because people saw what they expected to see when they looked at Rin, they never bothered to look any further, and thus missed the inner turmoil and sadness that had always haunted the half-demon.  Even Father Fujimoto had been deceived by the front that Rin always put up.  Had anyone in Assaiah ever known who Rin Okumura really was?

"I am sorry, Rin, for everything I have ever done or not done.  You were always trying to help and protect me, and all I ever managed to do was hurt you and punish you for something that was never your fault.  I am glad that you finally found people who accept and love you.  Although I realize that you probably never want to see Assaiah again, I would really appreciate it if I could see you from time to time." Rin could tell that Yukio was completely sincere in his apology.  He decided to give Yukio a chance to mean something to him again, even though he knew they would never be the same.

"If and when I return to Assaiah, I will stop in to see you.  I cannot promise you anything more than that." Rin's voice was calm but firm. "Amaimon will almost certainly be with me.  If you can't accept both of us you need to let me know now."

"Amaimon is more than welcome as well." Rin could sense the hesitation and resentment that Yukio was trying to bury.  Although the attention Rin gave Amaimon bothered Yukio, he was willing to look past that in order to gain any ground with his brother.

"You aren't as horrible and selfish as you used to be, Okumura." Amaimon's voice cut through the tension, making Rin smirk and chuckle to himself.  Yukio gave an exasperated shake of his head, baffled by the behavior of the King of Earth.

Soon after the conversation, the trio reached true cross and parted ways.  The two demons took the Kappa through the now permanent portal that existed in Mephisto's offices, dragging the reluctant demon to his trial and eventual death.