Chapter 73: Shen Qiu (Part 1 & 2)

Start from the beginning

"I am fine." Jennie said to the hesitant Marie, "All of you withdraw."

Her tone was firm and calm which made Shen Qiu stunned for a moment.

"Younger Sister, what is the matter with you?" Shen Qiu asked. Once the words came out, he was vexed at himself for using such heavy words. He usually faced brute men in the army and had forgotten to be softer and gentler to young females and thus slow his words and tone down, "Yesterday upon seeing you trapped in the fire, Father and Mother were really frightened. Younger Sister, why were you in the ancestral hall? Were you being locked up?"

However Jennie shook her head and smiled as she looked at him, "After a year of not meeting, is Eldest Brother doing well?"

"Ah?" Shen Qiu was simple minded and said in a laughing manner as he scratched his head, "I am still alright. The army is always like this, make a few contributions and wait for His Majesty to bestow some things. Younger Sister can pick what you like from it." After finishing, he seemed to have thought about something and happily said, "That is right. Father previously hunted a fire rat and skinned it to make a cloak out of it. I will later get the servants to bring it over. That cloak is invulnerable to knives and spears and could evade fire and water. If you had that cloak yesterday then you will not be burnt..."

His voice hardly finished when Shen Qiu froze on the stop. Jennie went up and wrapped her hands around Shen Qiu's arms and rested her head on his chest.

Even if they were real siblings they were after all not little children, so Shen Qiu was somewhat embarrassed for some time even though he was overjoyed. It had been a long time since Jennie was so close to him and he felt overwhelmed by the unexpected favour. Just as he was somewhat happy, his heart sank as he thought about Jennie's temperament, she must have suffered big grievances for her to be this unprecedentedly close to him today.

He asked hurriedly, "Younger Sister, is there someone bullying you? If there is someone, you just need to tell me and I will beat him up till he was half dead..."

He spoke indignant at the injustice but Jennie wanted to laugh. Mei Furen had an older brother that was very talented and could help Fu Jong Kai come out with plans for the court. Fu Jong Kai later favoured Mei Furen greatly and this may not be without her older brother's credit. Jennie was envious about it but at that time Shen Qiu was already dead.

It seemed that she had not felt the feeling of having a supporter for a very very long time. Getting used to fighting alone in life and dividing herself to many people. Perhaps she only lost to Mei Furen because of her lack of support.

Now with someone protecting and caring, it was so beautiful that it almost felt unreal.

She slowly loosened her hands and looked up at Shen Qiu's concerned eyes.

"Younger Sister..." Shen Qiu was also stumped for words. The young female in front had bright clear eyes and white teeth and when she faced him, there was no longer the previous intolerance and boredom and what replaced was a type of deep feeling. That feeling made him felt a little strange as he looked carefully at the young female in front of him. After a year of not meeting, Jennie had gotten much thinner. Her originally somewhat round face was now sharp, making her look much more delicate. Her facial features got clearer and brighter. That nativity and immaturity had vanished without a trace and when he looked at her, there was a slight gratification and an unknown loneliness.