CHAPTER 15

COLE

I stare at the woman standing in front of me and wonder how a day that began as perfectly as this one did could suddenly turn into a nightmare. I remember her words from this morning, about not wanting to open her eyes because she was afraid that last night was a dream.

I wish I could go back, and tell her to keep those eyes closed.

As Tim drives us to work, my mind goes over Barnes' words again. "We've found Manning. We found a lot of huge stuff too. And recent communications and packages from that chit who works with you. Your assistant."

Like I needed any clarifications. I wanted to ask him how recently, but I decided not to. I figured it would be better if I got the facts from them face to face. I didn't look at Anne or talk to her throughout the entire car ride.

She must have sensed my mood because she didn't talk to me either. I stepped into the room with the two men and listened to everything they had to say.

They had been monitoring Anne's conversations for a while, and they became suspicious when they noticed a number of deleted emails. They tracked the IP address of where the emails were sent from, and they found him.

By the time they were done, my entire body was vibrating with anger and hate. I couldn't believe that I looked that woman in the eye, kissed her, and slept with her.

When did I begin to believe that she was innocent, that she knew nothing about what Manning did? Perhaps it was the first time I saw her, looking so clumsy and nervous, with her dowdy appearance.

She played the part so well. Well enough to deceive me, to deceive everyone. I think back to this morning, to Celine's words. Perhaps they were harsh, and she said them out of a place of anger and hurt, but maybe there was also some truth in them.

Her guilt is displayed so well in the fact that she doesn't even bother to plead for forgiveness or to explain. She just turns to her desk. I watch her closely to make sure she doesn't take anything that isn't hers.

The last glimpse of her face that I catch before she walks away makes my heartbreak, but I harden myself.

I don't know how pity and disgust can mix so well in my stomach, but that's how I feel. Pity because I know she'll have to live with the knowledge that she's lost one of the best things that could ever happen to her. I would have given her the world, but she threw that away. And I feel disgusted because of how well she hid her mercenary streak.

I still can't believe I didn't see through it all this while. It's my warning, I guess. I should have known that love wasn't in the cards for me.

In spite of all the lessons I've learned from both others and my past, I keep repeating these mistakes.

I turn away from her and head into my office, where Leah and Richard are waiting. They are both silent for a moment. I expect Leah to speak, but it's Richard that starts things off.

"Something about this entire situation seems off, Cole." He never calls me by my first name, and I look at him sharply. He only shrugs. "I know it might seem like she did something terrible, but things may not be what they seem. We may be seeing exactly what someone wants us to see."

"What do you mean?" Leah says, her eyes widening in shock. "I thought you hated her. Why are you defending her all of a sudden?"

"As I've said for the umpteenth time," he replies, rolling his eyes, "I don't hate Anne. I've never hated her. I thought it was a bad idea to bring her in to work here because I was afraid that she would leak information to her old boss and remain loyal to him.