CHAPTER 2

ANNE

I clutch the pillow to my face, holding my breath until I can't anymore. I'm not trying to kill myself, I promise. I'm just frustrated beyond my wits.

I glance at the clock that hangs above the door of my room. Only five minutes past five. I still cannot get over the habit of waking up at five in the morning. The fact that I have nowhere to go makes it worse.

Sighing, I roll out of bed and grab my bathrobe and towel. There's no point staying there when I would never be able to get back to sleep. I don't take a long shower, even if I have the time.

I wouldn't be able to afford my water bill soon, so I need to be frugal while it lasts. The same with the light, the gas, and everything in between. Perhaps I would lose my house too.

As I step out of the bathroom, I imagine myself, sitting on the sidewalk of a building, hands out for some coins so I can get something to eat. The thought is a scary one. Shivering, I try to focus on something else.

The only thing that comes to mind is the fact that I have lost my job. It's still so difficult for me to understand why. I had been the one keeping that office from folding up. And no, it's not an exaggeration.

I only came to work for Mr. Manning two years ago. He was a difficult man to work for, but I did the work because there weren't many better-paying opportunities.

With all the debt I owed for college and the MBA I sometimes regret pursuing, I had no choice. For two years, I put my heart and soul into the job. I organized his meetings. Then I reorganized them when some unplanned rendezvous messed things up.

I suppose it was lucky for me that I never drew his attention, not the way some of the other women who worked at Charlton did. I apologized when he messed up and tried my best to make sure he wasn't sued for so many of the stunts he pulled.

And what did that get me? The first time I ever took a vacation, my employment was terminated.

I still remember coming home that day from the hospital. I have been having constant headaches, and my doctor's advice was to take a break from work for a week or two. I finished up all the pending work, hired a temp to help out pending my return, and stayed home for ten days, just resting.

Two days before I was to get back to work, I went to see my doctor again. I was doing so much better, and everything was perfect once more.

Until I came home and saw the mail from the company in my inbox. I kept thinking it was a mistake. I called HR - my boss's indiscretions made sure I had a good relationship with the people there.

It wasn't a mistake, they said. There has been some restructuring. I was out of a job.

I don't have anything saved up. Every month, when I get my salary, I pay my bills, pay the rent, and buy some groceries. Then I use most of what's left to pay off the loan debts as well as meet up with other obligations.

Usually, by the end of the month, I'm living on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because I cannot afford anything better.

I've been scouring the newspapers and online platforms for jobs. I'll probably have to go to a temp agency soon or resort to jobs like babysitting or something.

I dress up slowly - it's not like I have anywhere to go - and head over to my computer. Perhaps, one of the companies I have sent my resumé to has finally replied.

I see the mail from Celine first. Despite my terrible mood, I still find myself smiling.

Hey, love

How's the job search going? You know you don't have to do all of that stuffy company work stuff, yeah? Come work for me, I swear you'll love it. Wink.