Chapter Forty-Eight

Start from the beginning

The first stop I made on my goodbye tour was to see the wolf pack. I handed over the reins to Mason and Tyler - it was easier than traveling with an entire pack. Next, I stopped to see Aunt Jenna. She was surprised and immediately horrified by my changed appearance. Even as the cold settled into my heart and the fire ignited within my soul, it was hard to explain why I needed to leave. With everything that had happened and the short time before my birthday, I needed a sense of freedom. I couldn't walk the same roads I had when I was happy, it was too devastating. During the talk with Aunt Jenna, Elena had come home. It was something that I had not anticipated. She said little about the changes that she could see, instead, she demanded that we confront Niklaus.

"Something isn't right, Ellie! There is no way he has all of a sudden decided to be with someone else. Real love doesn't work like that, and I know he loves you," she hollered.

"You know little to nothing about love, Elena. I saw the truth in his eyes!"

Aunt Jenna took my arms in her hands and softly pulled me into a hug, only then did I realize that I was crying. Elena didn't flinch at my words, she simply crossed her arms and told me that wherever I went, she would go too. Jeremy came home shortly after our fight and sat in silence as we planned for a life outside of Mystic Falls. Jenna was hesitant, but after seeing Elena's determination she agreed — Elena would be safer away from the vampires haunting our doorstep anyway. Jeremy stayed silent, only hugging us during our tearful goodbye. I promised to call often.

What I didn't know at the time, was that Elena had also called Enzo, Will, and Caroline. Instead of slinking off into the darkness to lick my wounds in solitude, I now had an entire group joining me. The hollow emptiness in my chest lessened to a degree. We loaded up the car, but before we left we stopped at one last place — the Boarding House. Saying goodbye to the boys was harder than I thought it would be. They wanted to join us, but I needed a complete change, and being near Damon would not work — there was too much history. So instead, they pulled out their cells and worked with Enzo to find us a perfect place to begin our new life.

New Orleans was a vibrant city, filled with colorful people. Standing on the glass balcony of my new apartment, I stared down at the French Quarter, face blank and heart unyielding. I could find no joy in the merriment below. It has been months since we left Mystic Falls, yet I remain alive. Something was different this time and it had me in a constant state of high alert. Unconsciously, my eyes rose to the starry night sky. The moon was full, pressing down on me with its unshakable presence. I couldn't help but linger on thoughts better off having been left alone. Did Nik miss me, or was he happier with her? My black-nailed fingers fell to my protruding stomach as I stared into the darkness.

"Mother, are you...okay?" William asked. He was positioned in the doorway, his throat bobbing nervously.

I tilted my head, saddened by his newfound fear. Brushing the sterling hair from my neck, I smiled. "I am well, Will."

None of my friends or family were happy with the change Niklaus had created. Yet, no matter how many times they tried to bring me out of my misery, I stayed firm in my anger. William glanced down at my stomach, concern clear in his eyes. "Time is running out. The child....it won't be born in time," he said.

I turned away, looking back at the twinkling stars. "I know, love. But I have an idea. Don't worry about your little brother or sister." Whispers amongst the French Quarter witches had caught my attention. There was said to be one in New Orleans gifted by the Gods — a Hoodoo Queen. She would know better than most why my curse had not yet activated; I was living on borrowed time.

William stepped onto the balcony, joining me at my side with steel in his eyes. "I don't care about the child, mother. It's you that I care about. I've only just found you, I can't bear the thought of losing you," he cried, lashes wet.