"I just—I still want to help people, but maybe, like physio? Occupational therapy? Psychology? Something else, you know. And if I change my mind, I can do medicine as a postgrad, or I can transfer," she rambled, attempting to justify her flurry of thoughts. "I'll figure it out."

"I know you will," her dad said. He pulled back to press a kiss to her forehead, wiping the wetness from beneath her eyes. "And I'll be here to help you. If you want me to. Okay? Me and your mother will support you. Properly this time."

"Really?" Natalie squeaked.

"Really," he said, pulling her in for another hug. "And if we overstep again, I want you to feel like you can tell us. Okay? We'll listen, this time, honey. I promise."

Natalie released a final cry and pressed her face against her dad's chest, feeling like a kid again who just needed a hug from her dad. He stroked the back of her head, waiting patiently as her shoulders stopped shaking and she childishly wiped her face on his shirt.

When they parted, he settled her with a teasing look. "But you really need to stop your grades from slipping any further. I'm still your dad, you know."

"I know," she said, letting out a chuckle that lived somewhere between a sob. "I will. Promise."

"Good." He pushed her hair back. "Now go clean up. I'll cut you some fruits."

Natalie laughed, nodding. She didn't feel like sliced apples, but she knew arguing with her dad over fruits was futile. Instead, she turned up the stairs and jogged to her bedroom.

It hadn't been the conversation she expected, but it was the one she always secretly wanted. A weight had been lifted from her chest.

Her bedroom door was already open when she reached the top of the stairs, her mum sitting on the end of her bed.

When she stepped in, her mum stood, smiling.

"You and your dad made up?" she asked. Natalie nodded. "Good."

She stepped forward, pulling Natalie into a brief hug.

"You know he can get a little too roped into things," her mum continued.

"Did you talk to him?" Natalie asked, already knowing the answer.

"No." Natalie settled her with a knowing look and her mum laughed. "So many times. He came around surprisingly quick, but you know your dad. He's not good with his words. He didn't know what to say to make it all better. Offered to buy you that chicken you like instead."

"From Nando's? I probably would have fallen for it, to be honest."

"I know you would have." Her mum stroked her hair and stepped towards the door. "And while we're at it, you should bring that boy around here sometime. Yeah?"

Natalie's face turned hot. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Come on, Natalie. I was young once too," she said, grinning. "Besides, you think a boy like that can fit under a desk? His legs were sticking out all over the place."

"Oh, God, you saw that?" Natalie groaned. "You've known since then? Why didn't you say anything?"

She shrugged her smile only growing wider. "You know what, bring him for dinner tomorrow. That's an order."

"Mum!"

"An order, Natalie!"

Natalie groaned, watching as her mum waltzed out of the room, shutting the door behind herself.

Her head hurt from all these revelations. Her mum had seen her with Leon in her office that day! Had she known all along? And yet she never said anything! God, how embarrassing!