family protection

My phone had been blowing up with messages but the one message I didn't expect to get was from my father.

Papi

When were you going to tell me you were pregnant?

Well shit. I let out a breath, mami who sat next to me tapped my thigh as reassurance.

I dailed his number with shakey hands and went on speaker.

"Hola" papi answered the phone.

"Hi papi" I muttered. He was probably on the list of people I did not want to talk to but I think he had a right to know.

"Oh so now you want to talk to me" I bit my tongue, holding myself back from firing words at him.

"That was for a reason. And you know it papi" mamis hand rubbed my back.

"That is in the past" victor hissed.

"Not for some people. But that's not why I wanted to call" I changed the subject because I knew I would turn this into a whole argument.

"So you are pregnant" his voice sounded hurt, like it was breaking him. I let out a sigh "yes" I didn't mean to hurt him by not telling him but in some sick twisted way, I think I wanted him to hurt the way Elena hurted.

"And you weren't going to tell me" he spoke with slight aggressiveness in his words.

"Well, we weren't really on speaking terms were we" I let my frustration slip and let the words flow out of my mouth.

Mami waved her hand to get my attention, she took a deep breath signalling for me to do so.

"But I am your papi"

"And you were Elena's papi" I guess that deep breath didn't work. I stood, my hand going under my belly to stable me.

"I love you papi, but I don't think you have any right to be mad about me hiding this, because we all know what happens when we hid÷ something you don't like. You leave" my anger just opened like a flood gate.

"Look, I love you, so much. And I don't want to hurt you, so when you're ready to make progress with Elena, and once you start accepting Elena for who she is. Then and only then you can contact me, because my family is who I'm protecting" I hang up, oh my god.

The chest pain was back, mami knew before I even asked and grabbed my medication that made it less painful.

"I'm proud of you" mami said as I walked around my room, my back turned to the door.

I turned my head when I heard footsteps approaching.

Long arms came around my shoulders and a head rested on my shoulder.

"Thank you" Elena muttered, I turned around and hugged her back. "I've got you" I muttered into her hair. My hands rubbing her back.