Crystals Shining With A Z!

Mentioning it in Move Category Class was so fitting.

"So is anyone planning on trying out?."

Everyone looked to Ms. Williams.

"Trying out for what Miss?"

The teacher smiled innocently,"To get a Z-Ring of course."

Chaos erupted, questions being asked at every turn and she started to laugh.

"Alright alright calm down everyone. Joke's over."

Milan huffed,"That was not a funny joke Miss Williams."

She shrugged then turned serious once again.

"The school holds this event every five months. Which means that you get only two chances every school year. A chance to get a Z-Ring by battling one of our second years."

"But aren't Z-Rings hard to acquire? What if the whole school wins?"

The teacher shook her finger,"Actually, everyone can't win. Only twenty students can win as only twenty rings are available. Also the second years are instructed not to hold back so usually only up to five students win the battle."

Milan shrugged, going back to her drawing,"Makes no sense I try then."

Jennie nudged her,"Why?"

Milan shrugged again, this time a bit insecure,"I just don't really focus so much on battling. I would lose anyway."

Jennie hummed,"I'm not pursuing battling either but I still do it. There are many reasons to get stronger. Besides..."

She turned her focus on the teacher speaking,"You never know what's gonna happen in a battle anyway."
_______________
The first challenger didn't take long to come. A boy named Nicholas had a Charmander and a Poliwag that he caught. He boldly challenged for a Z-Ring as soon as class was over.

But ultimately he was all talk. With only one Pokémon, the second year smashed him and to make it even worse, the second year had used a Charmeleon to battle. The second year has laughed in his face, saying that he didn't have the right attitude for a S-Ring and he should go back to the basics instead.

It was pure humiliation.

Jennie herself was glad she didn't have to go through the trouble of battling for a Z-Ring since she already had one, always rested snuggly on her wrist.

At least she thought she did.

"I'm battling you for your Z-Ring."

Jennie rose a brow, looking at him,"What?"

Nicholas stared passively at her,"I wanna battle you."

He pointed at her bracelet,"For your Z-Ring."

Jennie turned away, going back to grooming Vulpix's fur,"I don't want to."

"But you have to. It's the rule."

She didn't want to admit it but technically he was right. During the one week, this Z-Ring event was held for, battles initiated by the first years were not to be declined.

"Fine."

The boy nodded firmly,"After school okay?"
________________
"Do you really have to fight this dude?"

Milan hugged Jennie's backpack close to her chest.

Jennie shrugged,"I mean yeah. You know the rules."

Milan huffed and pouted,"Just pulverize him quickly okay."

"We'll use two Pokémon okay!",Chase shouted from across the field.