CHAPTER XI: COLLIDE

"Hello?"

My heart drops at the sounds of a guy's voice on the other end of the line. I lick my lips and gather my thoughts before responding.

"Uh- who's this?" I ask, looking at the ground.

"This is Adrian. Who's this?"

"Doesn't matter. Where's Hailee?" I ask, losing my patience as each second passes.

"She's preparing for the kissing scene right now. Should I tell her you called?" Adrian answers, nonchalantly.

I hang up the phone. I know it's her career but the thought of her in New York kissing this guy makes me uneasy.

I walk back to my seat and sit down slowly. I begin contemplating on whether or not I should fly across the country to figure this out with her. She doesn't want a relationship. We haven't talked in over a month. She's busy with work. I'm unsure if she'll even want me out there...

"Well?" Meredith asks, placing her phone on the table.

Fuck it.

"What hotel is she staying at?" I ask, unlocking my phone so I can search flights to Long Island McArthur Airport.

"Wait... you're serious?" Meredith asks, leaning on the table.

Ignoring her question as I select a flight for tonight, Meredith picks up her phone to scroll through her texts with Hailee. "It's on the water — Allegria. She's filming in the middle of nowhere so there aren't many luxury spots. She's filming at the Old Bethpage Village Restoration... that's where she's at right now."

Meredith turns her phone to show me Hailee's location. Yeah, I know she's filming... a kiss scene apparently.

"Thanks." I say, typing her hotel and filming site in my notes. "I just got a flight out for 2pm so I should be there by seven or eight. I'm not sure how long her film day will be though."

"She should be back at the hotel around ten or eleven. That's usually when she calls me." Meredith places her hand on my arm. "This is all super fast. Could you run the plan by me, exactly?"

I place my phone on the table. "I- uh, I'm not sure. I think I just need to see her and figure this out." I pause. "I know she doesn't want a relationship and I'm not going to force one on her. I just- I need to tell her I understand."

__________

Hailee's POV

Another day of filming down and I can't wait to shower and crawl into bed. Filming the first season of 'Dickinson' has been so exciting and I'm beyond lucky to have such amazing cast mates. Of course, kissing a girl who isn't [Y/N] will take some getting used to...

Staying at a hotel forty minutes away from the film site was not one of my brightest decisions but it's nice being by the water. However, the drive home after a long day isn't on my list of favorite things.

When I finally pull into the parking lot, I grab my bag from the passenger seat and climb out of my rental. In a way, I'm thankful I get back late enough so that I don't draw any attention whenever I enter the lobby. To my knowledge, the front desk staff are the only ones that know I'm staying in town.

As I walk towards the entrance, I pull my phone out of my bag and open my contacts to call Meredith. I slow my pace until I come to a stop as my eyes find a completed call with [Y/N] from this morning. Someone else must've answered it on set. She never calls...