t w o

❝There's a pause between every minute
Feeling like I need something
It's just you❞

Haneul had to restrain herself from widening her eyes as the deep chocolate ones made eye contact with hers. She watched as his eyes turned into crescent moons before he caught up with his friends who already had moved to one of the near aisles.

The interaction didn't even last two seconds but she was winded either way.

She tried to be discreet as she watched the boys as they laughed loudly with their whole bodies and leaned on each other for support. They looked so happy, it made her feel a little envious and a pain in her chest arose. Anyone would be able to tell they were close, she really wanted something like that. A friend group that didn't judge for looks or nitpick at personalities. Those that were just there to have a good time with one another, living drama free. She closes her eyes to better picture what her life would be like with that.

"Ah hem" Someone clears their throat right in front of her causing her eyes to shoot open.

"Sorry" she mutters, blushing as she scans one of the items in front of her. The same brown eyes met hers again and turned into crescent shapes. It caught her off guard for a second time and she wasn't sure how to feel about it. 

As she scans the bags of chips and sodas she takes a deeper look into the boy who was now laughing again with his friends. He seemed to carry this aura that was much different than the rest. Anyone could tell he had confidence in himself, but it ran deeper than that. It's too bad that she wouldn't ever be able to understand him, as she was almost done scanning and needed to actually focus back onto what she was doing.

"Hyunbeen-ah you shouldn't worry about the stage anymore, it's in the past. Don't worry, there will be plenty of opportunities to showcase your talent," One of the boys says, rubbing another's backs in a comforting manner.

"Yeah, you know we all did well today. I wouldn't say we did bad at all," The crescent moon eyed boy said with the deepest honey like voice. And oh god his voice. Were her knees shaking? Were her hands shaking?

"It'll be $14.57" Haneul mutters, hoping her voice was loud enough to break their conversation. Thankfully, her tone was stable. She truly didn't think she'd be able to get over the embarrassment if her voice had cracked or she stuttered.

The same boy noticed. "I'll pay, don't worry," The same boy said playfully, rolling his eyes while the rest yelled endless thank yous.

Taking the cash out of his wallet, she couldn't help but look at his hands which were much much bigger than her own. They were delicate as he handled and counted the cash. She was a creep, she realized. Staring at his eyes, blushing at his voice, and now his hands? What was next...that was horrifying to think about. She had already gone through so many different emotions in the past 5 minutes since the group entered.

In a daze, she takes the money and gives them their bags. They're out of the store before she can shake out of it and say goodbye. Haneul stands there a few seconds before letting out a deep breath and starting to routinely close the store.

〄〄〄

"Did you see they're filming the Boys Planet program only 10 minutes away from here?" Hyo dramatically asks when she walks into her first class the next morning.

"Mhm"

"I actually started crying last night because how the hell am I so lucky that they wouldn't film it in Seoul or even Busan! They chose an area with relatively nobodies...How genius!" She says with the biggest smile on her face.

"Small world huh?"

"I just can't believe it, like everyone is talking about it. Oh my god, do you know what this means?" She asks, smacking her hand down on her desk.

"What?"

"This means that their performance stages will be nearby! Which means that we can see it live! Like actually happening right in front of us! Like we could vote for them in real time and actually make a difference in the show!" She explained, her eyes slowly filling up with more and more excitement. Or maybe that was tears.

"Wow, you're really into this program already," Haneul observed with her eyebrow raised.

"Yup!"

"And you don't even know the contestants..."

"Yup!"

She shakes her head at her friend's words, having deja vu as she looks out of the large windows by her seat. Hyo proceeds to chatter on about the program but all Haneul can focus on is the life outside the large window she was staring out of.

〄〄〄

The next couple of weeks go by without anything major happening. Just a few unfamiliar boys coming into the convenience store a couple hours before closing. They all wore the same attire; mask, baggy clothes, and some sort of hat. She didn't think much of it and her coworkers who mostly worked day shifts hadn't said anything to her either. They weren't close, but maybe they would have said something if the many unfamiliar boys came by during the day.

It was like no one questioned it, even though this was extra out of the ordinary. Guess she'll never know.

〄〄〄

Haneul sighed as she tried to keep her eyes open as she hopped up vegetables for her and her moms dinner. This was the first dinner in the past few weeks that they could actually spend together.

Her mom was already sitting at the pre-set, small dining table in the middle of the kitchen. Her mom worked long hours at the local hospital as a nurse, so it was the least Haneul could do to simply chop and cook dinner even if she wasn't the best at it.

"Lovey, come sit down and rest for a second," Her mom smiles, looking at her exhausted daughter. Haneul had worked late last night and had woken up early this morning for school. This was something she did several times a week, but her mom and even herself could tell it was catching up to her.

"No mom it's okay" She responds, holding back a yawn.

"Haneul, please come sit down, you're practically swaying," Her mom stands up and rests her hand on her daughter's shoulder. 

Sighing, she switches places with her mom. Her mom smiled, probably thinking she was too cute.

Haneul was half Korean and half Japanese, but even though her dad taught her the language before her parents divorced, she had never been there. Honestly, she had never thought about visiting, never had the extra money to entertain the idea.

The divorce had been hard on both her mom and her. It happened when Haneul was only ten, so she had lots of unwavering memories of her dad. He wasn't a terrible dad whatsoever, which made it so much harder to say goodbye. Though, maybe that wasn't the case since he walked away so easily.

Her mom finished chopping the vegetables and threw them into the filled pot that had been boiling. Turning around, she saw her daughter dozing off on the table. She turns back around with another soft smile, stirring the delicious smelling stew.