PROLOGUE

Nobody's saying our neighborhood's the Garden of Eden. Hell,some people say God avoids this place altogether. But it's been a good home to us,to me and my kids,who I'm proud of... because every single one of them reminds me a little bit of me.

Fiona,my rock,huge help,has all the best qualities of her mother,except she's not a raging psycho bitch.

Lip,smart as a whip. Straight A's and the honor roll. Boy's definitely going somewhere.

Ian,industrious,conscientious,ambitious,incredible work ethic. Don't have a clue where he got that from. Wants to be a paratrooper. Knows how to disembowel an enemy with a roll of dimes and an old gym sock.

Carl and Carla...um, I don't really know that much about the two. Oh,loves animals,always dragging home some poor stray they found,taking them up to their room.

Ah,Debbie,sent by God,total angel. Raises money for UNICEF year-round,some of which she actually turns in.

Liam,gonna be a star. I'm no biologist, but he looks a little bit like my first sponsor. He and the ex were close.

Kev and Veronica,fantastic neighbors. There's nothing they won't do for each other... or to each other. I never realized how little sex I was having...till V and Kevin moved next door.

And me,Frank Gallagher,father,teacher,mentor. Captain of our little ship. We may not have much, but all of us,to a man...knows the most important thing in this life;we know how to fucking party.

knows the most important thing in this life;we know how to fucking party