Chapter 30

Goldenflower addressed the warriors in a fierce hiss that carried through the blizzard. "Brindleface, wait until you hear my battle cry! Smokefur, you lead us through the camp entrance; we'll take care of the rest."

Smokefur began to race down the slope toward the snow-covered bushes. Goldenflower thundered after him, Darkstripe at his heels. Sandstorm charged behind the sleek gray tabby, through the narrow tunnel that led into the Windclan camp. The gorse was as dense and sharp as he remembered. Silverstream and the other warriors stayed at the top of the slope, a fresh wave of attack ready to strike after the initial barrage.

Sandstorm skidded to a halt, reeling at the sight that greeted him in the camp clearing. Last time he'd been here, in search of the scent trail that would lead them to the missing Clan, the place had been deserted and silent. Now the clearing swarmed with writhing, screeching, fighting cats. Smokefur had been right—the Windclan cats were hopelessly outnumbered. A fresh party of Shadowclan and Riverclan warriors waited at the edge of the clearing, but Windclan could spare no backup group. The whole Clan was fighting, apprentices and elders, warriors and queens.

Sandstorm spotted Cloudrunner wrestling with a Shadowclan warrior. The Windclan queen looked exhausted and frightened, her fur standing in ragged clumps. Still, she nimbly turned and scratched her attacker, but she was much bigger and knocked her easily to the ground with a heavy blow.

With a howl, Sandstorm leaped and landed squarely on the shoulders of the Shadowclan she-cat. He clung on while the surprised warrior spun and tried to shake him loose. Cloudrunner raked the she-cat with her claws as Sandstorm dragged him to the ground. The Shadowclan warrior screeched and ripped herself free. She ran into the prickly camp wall and pushed her way through. Cloudrunner shot a grateful glance at Sandstorm and turned back to the battle.

Sandstorm looked around, shaking drops of blood from his nose. The fresh patrols of Shadowclan and Riverclan cats had joined the fight now. Thunderclan's arrival had evened the numbers for a while, but now the second party was needed. Sandstorm heard Goldenflower's battle cry ring out, and a moment later Brindleface exploded into the clearing, followed by Silverstream, Dappletail, and the rest of the Thunderclan warriors.

Sandstorm grabbed a Riverclan warrior, tripping her with one paw and holding her down with another. He rolled the she-cat over and thrashed at her belly with his hind claws. The Riverclan cat leaped away and crashed into a Windclan warrior. The warrior turned in surprise. Sandstorm recognized Smokefur straightaway and watched as he reared and attacked the Riverclan she-cat without a moment's pause. Sandstorm could see the fire in Smokefur's eyes. He could leave him to finish this fight.

A familiar hiss caught Sandstorm's attention. Silverstream was battling with a gray Shadowclan cat. It was Wetfoot, a warrior who had helped them fight to rid Shadowclan of Brokenstar. The two warriors were well matched. Silverstream thrust Wetfoot away with his back legs and spun around, looking for another cat to attack. Sandstorm could see a Riverclan cat right behind Silverstream. Above the din of battle, he heard the blood roar in his ears. Would Silverstream attack one of Graystripe's fellow warriors?

Silverstream leaped, and Sandstorm held his breath. But instead of jumping onto the Riverclan cat, Silverstream sailed over her and landed instead on the back of another Shadowclan warrior.

Sandstorm heard Goldenflower call his name. He twisted his head and saw the warrior at the other end of the clearing. The fighting was thick up there, with cats from all Clans battling together.

As he charged through to the Thunderclan deputy, Sandstorm felt Leopardfur grasp his hind leg, pulling him down.

"You!" hissed the Riverclan deputy. They had last met at the gorge, where Whiteclaw had died.