Chapter 22

The days leading up to the next full moon dragged by slowly for Sandstorm. It already seemed ages since the last Gathering. Rain clouds had kept the moon covered the last time, and the Clans had stayed away from Fourtrees. Meanwhile patrol after patrol reported scenting Riverclan warriors at Sunningrocks, and Shadowclan scent had been discovered again by the Owl Tree.

When he wasn't hunting or patrolling, Sandstorm divided his time between Brightkit, Cinderpaw, and Sorrelpaw. Even though Silverstream had resumed his role as Sorrelpaw's mentor, Sandstorm soon began to notice the young apprentice at loose ends from time to time, his mentor nowhere in sight. "Hunting," was all Sorrelpaw would sat when Sandstorm asked where Silverstream had gone.

"Why didn't you go with him?" meowed Sandstorm.

"He said I could go tomorrow."

Sandstorm felt the usual prickle of anger at Silverstream's stubbornness, but he shrugged it away. He'd given up trying to make Silverstream see sense—they'd hardly spoken since Sandstorm had brought Brightkit into the camp—but he made an effort to take Sorrelpaw out whenever Silverstream went missing, just to keep the apprentice out of sight. Sandstorm knew that Goldenflower wouldn't accept Sorrelpaw's answers so easily.

Finally the full moon appeared in a cloudless sky. Sandstorm came back from hunting early. He passed the fallen oak, deserted now that Swiftpaw and Smallear's kit had recovered. He dropped his catch on the pile and headed toward Raggedpelt's den to visit Cinderpaw. Even the threat of greencough had left the camp, for now. Only Cinderpaw remained with the medicine cat.

As Sandstorm padded through the tunnel he could see the small gray tom in the clearing ahead. He was helping Raggedpelt prepare some herbs. Sandstorm winced as he watched Cinderpaw limp heavily toward the split rock with a mouthful of dried leaves.

"Sandstorm!" Cinderpaw spat out the herbs and turned to greet him as he emerged from the tunnel. "I could only just scent you through these disgusting things!"

"Those disgusting things helped cure your leg!" growled Raggedpelt.

"Well, you should have used more," retorted Cinderpaw, but Sandstorm was relieved to see he had a mischievous glint in his eye. "Look at this!" He twitched his twisted hind leg. "I can hardly reach my claws to wash them."

"Perhaps I should give you a few more exercises to loosen it up," meowed Raggedpelt.

"No, thanks!" mewed Cinderpaw quickly. "They hurt!"

"They're meant to hurt! It shows they're working/" The old medicine cat turned to Sandstorm. "Perhaps you'll have more luck persuading him to do them. I'm going into the forest to dig up some comfrey roots."

"I'll try," Sandstorm promised as Raggedpelt padded past him.

"You'll know if he's doing them right," the medicine cat called over her shoulder, "because he'll complain!"

Cinderpaw limped over to Sandstorm and touched his nose to his. "Thanks for coming to see me." He sat down and grimaced as he tucked his bad leg under him.

"I like coming to see you," Sandstorm purred. "I miss our training sessions." He regretted his words as soon as he'd uttered them.

A wistful look clouded Cinderpaw's eyes. "Me too," he meowed. "When do you think I'll be able to start again?"

Sandstorm stared at him, his heart sinking. Clearly Raggedpelt hadn't told him yet that he would never be a warrior. "Perhaps if we try some of your exercises, it'll help," he meowed evasively.

"Okay," mewed Cinderpaw. "But just a few."

He lay on his side and stretched out his leg till his face was twisted with pain. Slowly, his teeth clenched, he began to move it backward and forward.