Chapter 19: Keep the Family Close

Начните с самого начала

Meanwhile, Damon has been in back to back interviews all morning. He's mentally exhausted, but he's finally finishing up his last pre-game interview of the day, then he will have a little but of time to himself before the team has to head to Truist Park (Atlanta Braves) baseball stadium for their game. Marcus, JR, Santiago and Lando had some interviews as well, but none of them received the same intense line of questioning that Damon did. As a former MLB prospect many eyes are on him to bring Bringston a championship win, especially since he put his MLB dreams on pause to attend Bringston and help save the baseball program.

Damon still doesn't have one regret. Giving up the MLB has forced him to learn so many things about himself. He found a family that he never thought he would have, blood and non-blood. He found love twice, and he never thought something like that would happen. The only thing that he wish was different right now is for Xavier to be able to see him play in this championship game. Damon wouldn't be where he is or who he is without Xavier. Damon is feeling so much gratitude right now, but he still feels that extreme loss. It hasn't been that long since Xavier's passing anyway. It weighs on him every day. It's a pain that he knows will never truly go away.

Damon finally gets back to the dorms and lays down to rest. Xavier is on his mind heavy so he unlocks his phone and scrolls through some old pictures of Xavier, some family pictures with as well. Cam gets back to the room shortly after. He sees Damon and says, "Perfect timing," to himself. "Get up!"

Damon rolls over. "What? Why?"

"I can't believe I'm actually saying this but, it's a surprise."

Damon hops off the bed. "Well this surprise better include some food."

"Yeah whatever."

The boys head out of their room and toward the the common area. As they get closer, Cam says that he forgot something in the room. "Go ahead, I'll be right back." Damon continues heading toward the common area. As he walks around the corner, he sees Keena leaning against the foosball table. She was scrolling on her phone, handling some business when Damon walks around the corner. "Mom?" Keena looks up and smiles. She stands straight up as Damon walks over to her. She opens her arms and Damon embraces her. Damon's eyes fill with tears. "I can't believe you're here," he says.

"I would never miss your big game."

Damon squeezes Keena tightly. "I missed you. I miss dad. I wish he was here too."

"Me too," she says. "Me too." In an effort to stop her own tears, she breaks their hug. "Okay, let's go get something to eat. We can't have you playing unenergized."

Damon and Keena head off campus. They were going to go to Local Green Atlanta for lunch but Damon got a last minute text from Gabby. KEK is hosting a celebration for JR in preparation for the championship game. Most of the frat and the pledges were working hard to pull it together and prepare food. They were going to keep it lowkey but ended up having so much food that they decided to invite the rest of the baseball team and a few extras. They brought out the grill. They've got ribs, chicken kabobs, bbq chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, mac n' cheese, baked beans, potato salad, salad, chips, cupcakes, cookies, soda, sweet tea, and lemonade. JR has been having a really good season and since the team is top 25, his brothers got a little carried away in all the excitement over at the KEK house.

In order to keep their spirits up, Damon and Keena decide to go join in on the fun. A little free food never hurt anybody. Keena also feels like it's important for Damon to be surrounded by good energy and she thinks that taking a little bit of time to bond with his team before the game might help him really get his head in the game. They circle back around to campus and head to the KEK house. When they pull up, they can see that it's turned into a very lit situation. They notice a lot of familiar faces.