Chapter 9: Almost is Never Enough

A few days later during the first week of November. It's Homecoming week.

Simone, Thea and the rest of the tennis team are gearing up for the pro tournaments this week. This is Simone's final shot at making the top 6 before the semester is over, so she's been more focused than ever trying to perfect her game. Just before the tournaments, she decides to take in a little homecoming fun to relax a bit. She goes with Cam, Keisha, and JR to the quad. Everyone is out drinking and partying while they watch the marching bands battle each other. The nostalgia is hitting as Keisha and Simone reflect on their time meeting during Simone's first Bringston Homecoming. Simone is also thinking about what her mom said to her after family dinner.

"Have any of y'all seen Damon? Is he coming out," Simone inquires.

"Yeah I saw him when I was on the way to meet y'all here. He's with Thea," JR responds.

"Oh okay, cool," says Simone. "I'm actually kinda thirsty, can y'all go get us some drinks," she asks. Cam and JR go to get them drinks, only water for Simone though. She has a big match tomorrow. While the boys are gone, Simone expresses her concerns about not being able to make the top 6 to Keisha.

"You're gona make top 6. You've been practicing hard all semester for this moment. So, I need you to put all that doubt aside and CLAIM IT. Say it with me now."

Both girls: "CLAIM IT!"

"You know with homecoming being here, it's got me thinking about everything thats occurred from last year to now. Meeting you, Nate, Thea, JR......and Damon. Falling in love with Bringston. Deciding to enroll here. So much has happened that I could've never imagined."

"And how are things in the Damon department? Obviously y'all still aren't talking if you're asking JR about him."

"We haven't talked at all in a few days. That's on me though. I pretty much told him that I didn't need him anymore on Halloween."

Keisha looks at Simone in shock.

"I know, I know. It's just that after all the stuff with him and the break up with Jordan... I don't know.... I, I guess I was just having a hard time processing it all. For a moment I thought I could save my relationship with Jordan, but if I'm being honest, I was probably doing it just because I felt like it was the right thing to do.... And after you said what you said about us being different people and seeing if it made sense, it kinda started to resonate with me that it didn't make sense anymore. Going to LA just confirmed that for me. Plus, I can now admit that I do have feelings for Damon. Coming to that realization was a lot cause I still have those feelings for Jordan even though I know that's over. And I still feel guilty about the stuff that happened between me and Damon while I was still with Jordan. It was so wrong but felt so right."

Keisha is just gazing at Simone as she talks. This is the first time she's ever heard Simone admit to having feelings for Damon in a real way.

"I know I'm rambling. Feel free to stop me at any time."

"Oh no, you're good. Plus, it seems like you really need to get this out."

"I just needed space to breath and get through it, and I couldn't do that with Damon around me all the time... Like he was everywhere all the time... And I couldn't talk to him about any of it, so I just shut him out. I'm regretting it now though. I don't want him out of my life but I'm not sure if we can ever come back from this. I just wish we could start over ya know."

"I get it. That's kinda how I felt about me and Cam. It wasn't easy getting back to friends when we've always been more."

"Yeah."