Chapter 20: All the World's A Stage

Start from the beginning

"Do you know much about this theatre Liara?"

"No, my lady."

Veronique gave her a sharp look, "And what did I say about addressing me with a title that I do not have.....yet?"

Liara appeared appropriately contrite and mumbled an apology into the wet folds of her coat.

"Oh, for heaven's sake. We shall have enough of that." She reprimanded, then announced to several attendees that lingered, "Let us have some clothes for my young guest." A few people scattered in varied directions and Veronique beckoned Liara closer still.

"Yes, my - .....mistress." Liara corrected

The actress smiled gently. "As I said before, being a courtesan is more than just sensual pursuits. Very often a knowledge of history and politics will serve far better than a lingering touch. Take for example this theatre. It is in fact the second one to be built in this location. The first was designed by Edward Shepard in 1732 and proclaimed at the time as the most luxurious ever built in London, but was taken by fire in 1808. This particular building was designed by a man named Smirke and opened in 1809, however ironically Smirke still has nothing to smile about since it is quite well known that he is suffering a large number of financial problems."

Liara frowned as she tried to remember the dates and names. She had a suspicion that there would be a quiz later.

Veronique leaned in, "Now, between you and I, I believe that it is about to be closed again and reopened by an entirely new backer." She then sat back in her chair that seemed to double as a throne. "You may then be wondering why I, who can clearly choose my engagements, will align myself here when London's most opulent location is Her Majesty's Theatre in Haymarket? Although Covent Garden does not seem to be the cloaca of music and fine arts, things are not always what they seem. That is a lesson that you should feel keenly. Like you, this theatre has hidden depths. It is not destined to sit here at the end of the plaza destitute for eons. Perhaps, one day it too will hold a power that few can foresee."

"Is that why you brought me here?" Liara found her voice under the weight of admiration and awe.

Veronique's fingertip trailed along the scalloped edge of Liara's stained sleeve. "In a way. Tonight you shall have a glimpse into the life that can be laid before you. It is not all roses and ease. There are long hours of studying, memorizing and training until dawn but tonight we lift the curtain and if you fall in love with the glamour and intrigue as I did, then you will know that it is worth it."

A light hand fell on Liara's shoulder and she whipped around primed to punch an opportunistic pickpocket in action, only to see a young serving girl holding a simple grey muslin dress. Veronique smothered a smirk with a single beat of a silken fan. Liara inspected the dress- it was dry and it was clean and a good deal prettier than anything she owned, not including pilfered gowns found in locked chambers.

With a dismissive wave from Veronique she was ushered behind a changing screen and then the tugging began. Granted it was gentler than the rough prods of Madam Shiela but she could manage to dress herself. Yet any protestations to that effect fell on deaf ears. So she waited while they dried her with coarse linen, changed her clothes, probably burnt the others, brushed her hair into a tidy plait that hung to her waist and pushed her before her mentor once again.