part 3 - the party disaster

I dreaded this deeply but helping out Haley made me feel better about it. "Breakfast of champions. Want some?" Nathan said as I continued to read his paper. "Nathan you're later" I said annoyed as I didn't even want to be doing this.He handed me a coffee and smiled at me.

He sat opposite me and opened a box. "Please let this be a cheat sheet" he said staring at the packet tearing it. He then proceeded to pull out a colourful bracelet "It's for you Lola". "Nathan no stop it" I said reluctant to take anything off him. "come on" he insisted as he gently took my wrist and slid the bracelet on. "Don't say I never gave you anything" he grinned at me and stared into my eyes. "erm.. let's just get started okay?" I opened the book Haley gave me and remembered everything she told me on the phone earlier.

Later that day, I was looking down at the river and was thinking bout this morning and how he gave me a bracelet. I hear someone approaching me, I quickly turned around and realised it was Lucas. "Hey Lola" he said walking over and sitting next to me. "Hey Luke". I Found myself looking at the river again and how the stars were reflecting. "nice bracelet" he wouldn't be saying that if he knew who it was from.
"Thank you" I said forcing a smile so he didn't think something was wrong.

"Where were you this morning" DID HE KNOW? no he couldn't have. " just tutoring". He looked at me as he wondered who it could be. "oh yeah. anyone I know". I hated lying to him but that was best in this situation. "no". I smiled at him then continued to look deeply at the river.

I was getting ready at home at my house for Nathan's party that Lucas surprisingly wanted to go to. I wore a leopard print crop top and lose waist jeans and took a jacket incase I got cold. "Lucas they kidnapped you,trashed ur court,threatened you with bodily harm. A party. Sure why not". I looked at him wondering why he would want to go. "Ok I know it's all a setup all right? But I won't let him screw with me this time". Nathan stood next to the car as me and Lucas got out. Lucas walked straight past Nathan but Nathan stopped me. He held his hand out to me. "Hey I'm Nathan" He smiled down at me and I went along with it. "um,ye I know, I'm Lola". I smiled at Brooke and she smiled back as I walked inbetween Nathan and Lucas. Me and Brooke are sisters but we never got on that well. I mean we both love fashion and shopping and boys but other than that we are opposites.

Me and Lucas were walking around the house "So, I know your having the time of your life right now but I really don't think it was the best idea for us to come. For ur sake not mine". I looked at him and sighed. " I need the bathroom I'll be back". "Meet me back here in five?" he said. "Yep". I walked searching for the nearest bathroom.

I heard someone try open the door. "one second" I walked out and there stood Peyton. "oh hey Peyton" I said walking past her. "How's ur new tutoring doing? your covering for your friend Haley right?"she said turning around and looking at me. "yeah I am she refused to and begged me to cover for her so i helped her out". "maybe you could teach him to stop being such a jackass" she said chuckling. "I will tell Haley to add that onto the lesson plans" we both laughed. "Lola just be careful,okay?" I looked at her and smiled at her bcz she is looking out for me. "Wait does Lucas know your helping Nathan? You know you say a lot without talking. But it's okay your Brooke's sister so I'll shut my mouth too". She walked to the free bathroom and I walked around trying to find Lucas.

I was looking for a happy Lucas but I found an angry Lucas. "oh no,what happened?". " Oh, the same old crap. Thinking that if he keeps hammering me that I'll quit the team. Im Not going to let him get to me". I scoffed "Yeah bcz that obviously that's working out for you". "I think you guys should talk, you're so hypersensitive around each other and I think you both take things the wrong way" He turned around and looked annoyed I knew what he was going to say. "There is no misunderstanding to what he says and also why are you defending him Lola". "I'm just bringing some perspective to this screwed up situation. I mean, I'm sure having you around is no easier for him then it is for you. Maybe if you guys talked about it. I mean your looking for something right by being here". " I'm not letting him win" he said confidently. "Fine don't let him win. I'm going home I'm tired of all this drama" he shouted for me to come back but I continued walking as I was angry and fed up.

On my way out I bumped into Nathan. "Hey. Are you leaving?" He seemed confused. "Nathan you promised me you would be nice to him" I said frustrated. "I am being nice. I invited him to this stinking party, didn't I?". "Well what for? So you could pick on him in public to show off? What did you say to him anyway" I said wanting to know what affected Lucas so much. "oh,man. Is that what it's about. I made a little lame joke. I was trying to include him in all the stupidity. He went and took it the wrong way Lola". "Maybe you should just rethink your approach" . "Well your his friend, how do I handle this?" I scoffed " it's easy,stop being such a... jerk" I walked away and left Nathan by himself.

I sat staring at the beach then looking up at the stars. "I thought you left" I turned around and saw Nathan walking towards me. "Yeah I tried to. If the stupid cab would get here.". He came and sat down next to me. "Well, I'm glad you stayed. I want to thank you for holding back. I mean the word jerk is pretty tame. You could've called me a lot worse. I probably deserved it." He chuckled. " Well, I guess I'm walking. Bye Nathan". I started walking and he ran after me.

"Hey, let me give you a ride home" i wanted to get home but after my fight with Lucas this wasn't the best idea. "It's fine, my house isn't that far anyways". "I insist, look we can take Peyton's car". "Nathan, really I'm fine" I continued walking but he stopped me. He looked down to me. "You're a little high on yourself,aren't you? Going around constantly telling people you're fine. Look Lola, please just take the ride. It's the least I can do". "Alright fine" I got into the car and he smiled, shutting the door for me.

"Yeah,this is my house.We're staying here while we renovate the big mansion" I said and he laughed as he knew I was joking. "It's not like I was trying to show off". " Oh, but isn't that your default setting. Sorry." I said as we chuckled. " Lola, Can I be honest with you?" he said looking at me. "Erm.. i don't know. You tell me." He looked down and sighed. "What I said at the beach,was a lie. I'm really lucky to have basketball.If I lose it,it's all over for me. If I screw it up it will destroy my dad. I just really Need your help since your one tutoring me now.". I ran my hand through my hair. " Okay, I will get you though the semester with Haley's assistance. But then you've got to be on your own. I'm being serious." I said looking at his face lighten up.

I was helping Karen out at the cafe since Haley was sick so I was cleaning the counter for her when Lucas walked in. "Still avoiding me,right?" I said while cleaning at the same time. "A little". "Luke I was only trying to help out and I got the idea that if u could see things from Nathan's side. Your just a real pain in the butt sometimes" I chuckled. "So if anything was going on with you, important or weird or confusing,you would be honest with me, right?" he said wanting me to answer. "Yes of course". He looked at me then put my jacket on the counter and walked out. I looked at him and gulped as he now knew I was in the car with Nathan last night.