2.6 » what i'm trying to say

Kaity had just stepped out of the shower when she heard her phone ringing on the bathroom counter. She quickly dried her hands off and grabbed it before it stopped ringing. Her lips quirked up into a soft smile when she saw Luke's name printed clearly on the screen.

She pressed the accept and speakerphone buttons and then spoke. "Hey, babe," she smiled, running a brush through her hair. "What's up?"

Luke's chuckle radiated throughout the enclosed space. "I have a surprise for you; what are you doing?" He asked, ignoring her question completely. But somehow, Kaity didn't seem to mind.

"Um, I just got out of the shower. I'm combing my hair," she said, setting her brush down. "Why?" She grabbed her can of mousse and squirted out a palmful before smoothing it throughout her hair.

"I told you, Kaitlyn," Luke said, the smirk clear in his voice. She rolled her eyes, continuing to spread mousse through her hair. "It's a surprise, but I'm glad you're getting ready. Keep doing that. I'll be around by eight, okay?"

"Okay," Kaity agreed, shaking her head with a small laugh.

"Wait," Luke said, just as Kaity's finger hovered over the end button. "Are you naked?" He asked slowly, the end of his sentence rising slightly higher than the rest.

Kaity couldn't help but roll her eyes, "I have a towel on, but yes. Underneath that I am naked."

"Okay, I might be getting there a little sooner," he teased.

Kaity rolled her eyes again, a small scoff escaping her lips. "I'm going to be dressed by the time you get here, Lucas. I'm hanging up now," she continued, pressing her finger against the red end button.

Twenty minutes later, Kaity was all dressed; her hair dried into natural curls and was now waiting for Luke. He had told her he would be there to pick her up by eight and it was nearly time. Kaity was curious as to what surprise he had in store for her, but she knew if she asked, he would only tell her that he couldn't ruin it.

Kaity checked her phone, unlocking it only to find that she had no new messages from anyone. She hadn't heard from Neely or Michael since yesterday. She was only a little concerned, seeing as the last time she talked to Neely she was heading over to speak to Michael about the night at the club.

Kaity was rocketed out of her thoughts by a knock on her apartment door. She lifted herself off of her couch and unlocked the door, pulling it open to reveal the person she had been expecting - Luke.

He was wearing a red, white and black checkered flannel; the sleeves rolled up and the top two buttons left open to reveal his bare chest. His legs were dressed in dark skinny jeans, one knee ripped open. The only other time Kaity had seen Luke dress like this was the night they went to the club.

And if she was being honest, she missed it.

"Hey," Luke smiled, pulling Kaity in for a hug. His face buried in her hair as he dipped his head to hug her. His arms wrapped tight around her waist as hers came around his neck, her cheek pressed against his neck. "You look amazing," he half-whispered as he pulled back.