3.7 » what you got

For once, Kaity woke up without a gasp, the nightmare still ripping through her brain. She had gotten used to waking up peacefully by Luke's side, feeling his warmth pressed against her side. But today was going to be different.

Instead of waiting for Luke to wake up, she slipped from the bed but not before pushing her hand through his tousled hair and planting a kiss on his forehead. She tiptoed out of the room, giving him one last glance before continuing down the hallway and into the living room.

Ashton and Blake usually woke up early for their morning surfs, and Kaity knew that they normally got back around this time. And she was right; they were piling in the backdoor, hair dripping salt water as they tried not to make a commotion.

"Oh," Blake said, shutting the door behind her and flipping her stringy hair over her shoulder. "You're awake. Good morning, Kaity."

"Morning," she smiled back, taking a seat at the bar. "I wanted to ask you a favor," she said, getting straight down to business. Ashton raised an eyebrow at her, leaning their surfboards up against the wall where they usually resided when they weren't out on the waves.

"And what is that?" Ashton asked, sliding into the chair across from her, Blake taking her place beside him.

"I want to get Luke back on the waves," she said, her voice determined. "He's spent far too long on land and the Reef Hawaiian Pro is coming up and you and I both know he's not as ready as he used to be," she said. She hated to say it, but hadn't been surfing in quite some time.

She couldn't let Shawn win again.

Ashton nodded, a smile pulling across his lips. "I agree, it's about time he got back out there and shredded the water."

Kaity opened her mouth to speak again, but was cut short by Luke walking into the kitchen. He had just woken up, hair still ruffled from sleep, patterns from his sheets still imprinted on his naked chest. "You weren't there when I woke up, is everything okay?" He asked, trying to stifle a yawn as he took a seat beside his girlfriend.

Kaity nodded. "Everything is just fine. But you better wake up real quick because today is going to be a long day," she grinned, glancing at Ashton and Blake.

"Why's that?" Luke asked, leaning forward against the counter.

Kaity chuckled, motioning for Ashton to take it away. "It's about time you surfed again," he said, holding out his fist for Luke to bump. They touched knuckles, a smile spreading across Luke's own lips.

-

They started with training, Luke, Ashton and Blake taking off across the sand in a sprint. Kaity trailed along in a jog, still trying to support her boyfriend even if she wasn't in the best shape. When they returned, they were dripping sweat, Luke's freckles more profound from spending a few hours in the sun.

Next was the conditioning, sit-ups, jumping jacks, push ups (which Kaity helped with by sitting on Luke's back while he did so.) And then after they were all out of breath, Kaity encouraging them to do just a few more, they finally grabbed their boards from the house with a drink of cold water.

"Think you still have it?" Blake teased as they walked towards the water.

"You think I ever lost it?" Luke retorted, his mouth twitching into a cocky smirk. Blake just rolled her eyes, punching Luke in his shoulder.

"Then show me what you got, Hemmings," she said, bursting away from the beach and crashing into the shallow water, only to lie on her board to paddle away.

Luke burst after her, Ashton in tow. Kaity watched from the beach as they paddled out into the surf, in perfect position for the waves that were to come. She had done some research the night before with Neely's help, looking for how the swell would be and how often the waves would be coming.

According to the Internet, it would be the perfect day to be out on the waves. And it was right. The waves were big, roaring as they inched towards the shore before they crashed with white water spewing.

Luke caught the first wave he could, needing all the practice he could get. It took him awhile to get the hang of things again, but even still, he was better than the average surfer. He moved across the waves with such ease and grace, as if he was born to surf.

And Kaity truly believed that he was.

After about twenty waves, Luke had earned his full potential back. He raced over the waves, a smile broad on his lips as he pulled different tricks, earning hoots and hollers from Kaity on the shore and Ashton and Blake on the water.

They only took a quick break to eat, a small lunch before they were back out on the waves.

"Are you sure you don't want to join us?" Luke asked, pausing before he dashed back out into the water behind his roommates.

Kaity nodded, swallowing hard. She knew that maybe one day she would get back into the water, but today was just too soon.

"Not today," she forced a smile at him. "But soon."

It was Luke's turn to nod, wrapping an arm around her shoulder before pressing a kiss to her temple. And then he was racing back out to the water, catching up to his friends who were already ducking beneath crashing waves. Now that Luke had gotten down the riding part, Ashton was making him focus on the moves that would make Shawn lose.

This was the part Kaity was most excited for. She took her seat on the shore, toes digging into the loose sand. The three surfers bobbed out on the surface until a wave started to form out in the distance.

She watched as Luke broke away from Ashton and Blake, paddling out to catch the wave. He started to rise with the swell of the wave, and when he was finally just about to the top, he snapped up, planting his feet beneath him and his arms coming out to keep his balance.

Kaity couldn't help but smile. She was so happy that Luke was finally able to surf again after refusing to. The Reef Hawaiian Pro was only a few days away, and then after that it was two full days of surfing. She could only hope that Luke didn't ruin his chances of showing Shawn up and winning The Triple Crown.

But as she watched Luke zip across the water, zigzagging across the surface, pulling different tricks one after the other; she knew she had nothing to worry about. Finally, once the son descended in the sky, that's when the surfers decided to call it quits for the day.

Luke shook out his wet hair, surfboard tucked beneath his arms. "How'd I look out there?" He asked, as Kaity took her place beside him as they walked back towards his house. He nudged her with his arm, his lips pulling up into a small smirk.

"Like gold medal material," she answered, nudging him back as they arrived back in his yard. Ashton and Blake weren't far behind. Luke beamed, his blue eyes brightening at her words.

It was exactly what he needed to keep going for the next few days. Ashton had told him it was going to be nonstop training until the Hawaiian Reef Pro started. He needed to get back in shape and bring up his endurance and stamina.

"I think I'm going to grab a shower," Luke said, walking through the door, holding it open for Kaity as he leaned his board up on its designated wall. She nodded, grabbing the door for Blake and Ashton.

He gave Kaity one last grin before he disappeared down the hallway and into the bathroom. Before Ashton and Blake ran off to their bedroom to pass out, Kaity stopped them.

"Wait," she said, her breath hushed, even if the shower had just started. She didn't want Luke to hear what she was going to say. "I need another favor. And I think you're the only two who can help me."    

»

i'm sorry for the short chapter, it was just more of a filler

i promise more is gonna happen in the next updates

and as much as i hate to say this, this story is coming to an end soon

there might be a sequel, but i'm not completely sure yet so don't hold me to that

but as always, feedback is much appreciated!