Chapter 5: Last Resort

"I can't get a signal...GC! Fumo! Can you hear me?!" I yelled. Their audio grew static as soon as they entered the walk in fridge.

"Brandon, look." Leonard said, pointing at the CCTV view of the dining area. The music came to a stop, and everyone lined up around the table. Dajia and another man stood on top of the table, staring down at everyone. They're onto us! Shortly after, Broseidon walked in, dragging in GC and Fumo. Broseidon threw both to the ground and stood on top of the table. Dajia crouched down, while both Broseidon and the other man, stood facing away from each other. The room grew quiet, and Dajia simply stared at the two, lying on the floor. She smirked. The audio came back and all we could hear was a faint echo of footsteps.

"So, you two are the ones that the fraud department sent over." Dajia jumped off the table and walked towards the two.

"GC! Fumo! Be careful!" Rena yelled. Dajia grabbed GC by the chin and got close to the headset.

"You fraud investigators are done for" Dajia giggled and slapped GC.

"GC!" Fumo yelled. Fumo stood up and charged at Dajia. Dajia slapped Fumo who fell back to the ground again.

"Good one, boss!" The third man yelled.

"Shut up, Aibou or I'll come over there and slap you too!" Dajia yelled. The third man cleared his throat and assumed back to his original position. Dajia started to walk back to the table, when the door opened once more, revealing Pablo bruised. He walked over to GC and Fumo and helped them up.

"I'm here, don't worry." Pablo patted their backs.

"How cute. The gang's all here! Now I can finally tell you all my plan, despite the fact you're all already too late" Dajia's voice echoed throughout the room. The others inside the room stayed motionless, staring at Broseidon and Aibou. Are they on drugs or something?!

"Yay! Exposition" Fumo yelled. GC patted Fumo's shoulder, and he calmed down.

"You welfare workers and fraud investigators are good for nothing! You follow the government without a care in the world. You're all mindless puppets like my minions!" Dajia grabbed a wine glass and smashed it to the ground, wine trailing over the floor. Aibou and Broseidon trembled, swallowing any word that would escape their mouths.

"But if you need me to dumb it down..." Dajia said, reaching inside her blazer jacket "The government is giving less and less to fund corporations, raising the poverty level so they have more money for military and corporations. In other words," Dajia took out a pistol from her jacket "Your work is useless!" Dajia fired off a bullet into the air, the explosion ringing throughout the room. "Welfare to fund the quote unquote poor, free medical care, cash aid for families. Do you really think you can provide all that for everyone in the world with how bad our economy is?!" Dajia yelled.

Nathan lowered his head, his hair covering his eyes.

"Everyone, I'll be right back. I must use the bathroom" Nathan said. He stood up from his chair and walked out of the conference room. We all nodded and went back to watching the CCTV feed.

"Listen here, Dajia." Pablo stepped away from GC and Fumo. "We welfare workers and fraud investigators can't help the entire world, but we try. Our job is not to control where the world's money goes to, it's to use the money we're given to help the poor" Pablo stopped in his tracks. "So go ahead and shoot us. We're just cogs, part of a bigger picture."

"He's so real for that" the fridge's voice echoed throughout the room. Took the words right out of mouth, thanks fridge. Dajia swallowed and held back her tears.

"Nothing in this world is free, nothing is just handed to us...Let go of your savior mentality" Dajia raised her gun and pointed at Pablo. Okay, well technically these programs are free, the applicants just have to provide their demographics and personal info.