Side Story: Domestic Partnership

Everything that happened after that was kind of a blur to me. I remember Leonard putting me in his wallet, some car noises and now I'm just chilling on his computer desk. I couldn't really see well what his apartment looked like, but it looked very clean. His desk only had a monitor, keyboard, mouse and tower. No flashy lights, figurines, or anything. I really did fall for a clean-cut guy. Leonard walked over to me in his pajamas, wiping his hair with a medium towel. Even when he's not clean cut, he looks handsome! He turned on his computer and plugged me in the card reader. That's my cue! I opened a window on his computer with my face on it and the same background as my room.

"Good evening, Leonard!" I chimed. Evening as in 0100 hours at this point. Surprised he still hasn't gone to sleep yet, but at least it is the weekend.

"Hello, A.I. Brandon. Tell me, what can you do as an A.I. Bot?" Leonard smirked and raised an eyebrow.

"I am fully capable of holding a conversation with you. Additionally, thanks to your webcam, I can also take a look at everything in front of me."

"So, how do I look, Mr. A.I. Bot?" Leonard joked. Oh no! Do I answer as myself or as a bot?!

"Like the finest man I ever met, even after death." ...Way to go Brandon.

"There it is! I knew you were faking this entire time! You can talk like the Brandon I used to know when he was still alive!" We both shared a nice laugh. Looks like he's back to his normal self. Good job, me!

"Glad you could see right through me. I missed you, Leonard." No more trying to be fake.

"So, tell me, A.I. Brandon...If I leave you inside the reader, does that mean you'll be able to see and hear everything I do?" Leonard chuckled.

"Pretty much. Also quit calling me A.I., that's weird" I pouted. Leonard got up and stretched his arms up, revealing just the slightest bit of his core muscles. I'm not blushing...

"Alright alright. In all seriousness, I'm glad I get to talk to you again. Also, kind of glad we share the same feelings! But it's a bit awkward that I only get to talk to you in A.I. form. What if I want to talk to you when we go on dates and stuff?" Leonard joked. He's definitely not joking; he's got the hots for me.

"Not too sure. I just wish you're able to talk outside of a computer. What can you do as an EBT card if you're not plugged in?" Leonard walked to the kitchen counter nearby and started heating up some water inside a kettle.

"I can move around by flipping myself over and I can see. That's about it" Leonard let the water finish boiling and poured it over a mug with the letter 'B'. He placed a teabag inside the hot mug and walked back to the desk, mug in hand.

"So, you can't talk unless you're plugged inside the reader?"

"Bingo". Leonard took a sip of his tea.

"If only there was a way you could talk by yourself. In the meantime, wanna watch some anime?" He smiled.

"Sure, but let me pick. Remember the laundry list of anime recommendations I sent you? I'll pick something from there for us" I opened a word pad file titled "Brandon's awesome recommendations" and out popped a word document with at least a hundred titles. I had too much time on my hands in the real world, as you can tell.

"Oh, I like this one! Can we watch it, Brandon, please?" Leonard pouted with puppy dog eyes. How dare he.

"Oh, that was the one I asked you to watch with me last time! You never watched it yet?!" I said jokingly.

"I was uh...Waiting to watch it with you" The two of us laughed.

"If you say so. Let's get comfy!" I said as I rendered a chair for myself in my webcam screen. Leonard got up from his chair and turned off all the lights except for his desk lamp. He came back with a blanket with corgis printed on it. He wrapped himself in the blanket and queued up the first episode of the anime: The Adventures of Meat Wad San. Weird title.

As time passed, the two of us were enjoying each other's presence; Laughing and crying at the appropriate scenes. Eventually, Leonard passed out on his desk, head resting on top of his arms. I heard a slight snore from him, that made me snort. Seeing him smile and being content made me at ease; Throughout all these years, we were finally able to see each other, albeit in an unconventional manner. I closed the video player window and shut down the computer for him. I transferred myself over to the EBT card and ejected myself from the reader. The amount of strength it took to get myself out of there was unreal. I flipped myself over until I reached Leonard's hand. I felt his hand twitch. I squeezed myself in between his hand. He gripped my EBT card body gently, and if I wasn't already dead, I would have died in that very moment. Not the reunion I was hoping for, but glad none the less; Being held by him is the best feeling I could have ever gotten. As an EBT card.

The next morning came around and I was laying by myself on his desk. Leonard stepped out of the bathroom, fully dressed for his shift. He straightened his tie, brushed off a few wrinkles on his shirt, and clicked his tongue at the mirror, admiring himself.

"Ready to go, my little EBT card?" He said jokingly.

"Hey, don't call me little, I was taller than you when I was alive" I said. Wait. I can hear?! and, did I just say that out loud?!

"You can talk now?!" Leonard yelled. I guess I can.