Chapter 1: Welcome to the World of EBT!

I let out a groan. I was laying down on a table. I really was turned into an EBT card. I'm still somehow able to see, but I can't speak – I've tried trust me. I can move myself a little bit, but it's hard. Imagine like a cockroach without legs trying to move, wait that's a bad analogy. Point is! I can move but I have to constantly flip myself. From the corner of my eye, I see a tall, burly middle-aged man. He closed the door behind him, sat down in his office chair and picked me up.

Hey buddy! What have you done to me?! Can't you hear me?!

He stuck me inside what looked like a card reader. As soon as I was inserted, I felt like something was pulling at me like a vacuum. Then I heard his computer chime. The familiar female voice spoke through his computer speakers.

Welcome EBT Card 625. New user detected. Please enter a 4-digit security code.

At least give me the freedom to choose my own security code. The numbers 1,2,3,4 rang through the computer speaker.

Thank you. EBT Card 625 is now ready for use.

"Alright, say something" the middle-aged man said.

"Somethin...Hey I can talk now! And you can hear me!" I shouted. My voice echoed through the computer speakers. I was able to see the middle-aged man through the opposite end of my computer screen. I felt grateful but also creeped out – I'll take it for what it is. I can speak and can see!

"Perfect! You're now a fully functioning EBT card! Allow me to introduce myself, I'm the man that reincarnated you. My name is Nathan Kuroda, head of the welfare department in this county. Welcome to the world of welfare, Brandon Godai!" Nathan stretched his arms out.

"Better than being a floating thing inside a computer. So now what?" I asked, getting a feel for my surroundings.

"Now, in exchange for reincarnating you, you're going to help me process welfare cases Mr. Godai. I went ahead and did a little research on you, since you applied with us a while back." Nathan said as he typed away. He opened a computer window next to mine and it showed all my personal information and demographics.

"Oh yeah, I remember at one point applying for welfare because my funds were running low on my bank account. Thanks for keeping my info handy, Mr. Kuroda!"

"Please, call me Nathan. Alright. Brandon Godai, born on June 25, age 30, blood type O, m..."

"Okay I get it, thanks Nathan. So how am I supposed to help you process welfare cases as an EBT card?" I asked. Nathan closed the window next to mine.

"I won't be processing cases with you. As the department head, I'll go ahead and assign you to one of my welfare workers, and you'll be helping them." Nathan opened another window which looked like a spreadsheet of all the workers in his office.

"So, since I have access to the database..."

"Yes, you'll be locating the information of our welfare applicants and they'll be in full possession of you once the benefits have been approved." Nathan said as he pulled up a window that showed EBT transactions.

"Wait! So that means I have to go home with strangers?!" I shouted. I'm glad he had the office to himself so no one could hear me.

"Yes, that is how an EBT works, Mr. Godai."

"Isn't there a way where I can stay in the database, so I don't have to go home with some randos?" I asked, my eyes following Nathan's cursor.