XI. A Change of Plans

Uncle Jeff watched me expectantly.

"Lia?"

"What is it?"

"Your aunt was speaking to you."

I straightened my back and smiled.

If I didn't stop drifting into my thoughts they'll think I've gone mad!

The events of the previous night were still fresh in my mind as I stood near the window of what Aunt Winnie called the front room. On seeing me that morning, Ms. Petruny thought me certainly under the weather due to reddened eyes—which were really caused from lack of sleep!—and sent me home straight away. Violet would not hear of me walking in my state and asked Mr. Henfield if he'd be so kind as to drive me. I had slept through the journey, he later informed me. My one disappointment in being at the cottage was postponing the necessary conversation with Quistelle.

I turned to my aunt. "I'm sorry Aunt Winnie, what was it you were saying?"

"I merely asked how things were getting on in the lower parts?"

I laughed. "Now, since when do you inquire news of me? It is usually for Uncle and yourself to entertain me with Gordorf news and gossip."

"The gossip I leave to my lovely wife," said Uncle charmingly.

She threw a cushion at him.

"Alright, I beg pardon, ma'am."

He turned to me.

"You've been thoughtful and absent minded as of late."

"And we can't help but feel there is something on your mind you haven't told us," Aunt Winnie finished.

Besides an extraordinary bird that picked locks, became transparent and robbed pantries of its cankaloons, and the girl who kept the oversized creature for a pet, no, there was nothing whatsoever to tell!

"It isn't of any importance," I said slowly continuing my embroidery. "The Brastins are giving a party for their girls and I've been invited to go."

My aunt looked doubtfully at me. "Is that all?"

Though conscience begged me to tell the truth, honour made me hold my tongue.

"And I mean to accept, if it's alright with you both."

"Well, the Brastins are a humble set and it might do your restless spirit good to be entertained by them. I fear Gordorf is beginning to feel too small for you. You're accustomed to the busy life of your father where parties, dances, and work blend easily together. I'd say my lovely niece is beginning to be rather spoilt."

Uncle Jeff had always thought it likely that I should be ruined by high society. He and his good friend Gary Birch, shared similar views. The latter always took me by the hand whenever I visited, gave me the once over, then said in his old fashioned way,

"Looks as though the city hasn't ruined our girl yet, Jeffrey."

However, the determined young woman in me was intent on proving them wrong. It would appear Ms. Cotts shared their opinion, as I remember.

Aunt Winnie was sorting socks in her work basket.

"How many times must I say that though Theseus can't help sending her gifts, Lia is not on the verge of becoming one of those high-nosed girls who think our common ways beneath them. She is my niece before yours, you know."

Uncle bowed his head to his wife. "I understand Delewin, but I just want to point out that she has spent her time idly for the past month, most of which were spent paying calls at Bedlaam. I am sure the girls there think highly of you, Lia," he said to me at last, "but your aunt is too proud to say that most times she could use your help and company here."