III. Rumours

This story does not revolve around the life of my family, and so I will not reiterate the events of my trip to Olivington except to say that Papa had taken me to Engleton to see my stepmother who was visiting her sister and was delighted by my visit. The two weeks spent with my family were blissful ones and as the day of departure grew nearer, their attentiveness to my every desire grew so strong, I often found myself fleeing to the garden, my place of refuge. When at last my stay had reached its end, I was put on a train to Gordorf with as many as a hundred kisses from Papa, bundles of thoughtful gifts from his wife, and a letter for my aunt who'd be waiting to receive me. The train, having given a final whistle, chugged forward and I waved goodbye to my father until I could see him no more, then, pleasantly tired, leant back to sleep off a few of the eight hours' ride ahead.

Aunt Winnie met me as promised with her two sturdy fawn coloured ponies, excellent specimens for the many errands she managed to do each day. Aunt Winnie was a busy woman, whether at home or about town and was well known throughout Gordorf for her charitable deeds. She was a determined little woman with waist long hair, twinkling eyes, a rosy complexion, and a happy manner that was always remembered by everyone she met.

When she had embraced me for the third time, I was hustled into the wagon with my luggage in tow and we bumped along the busy streets of Canopy Square, one of upper Gordorf's bustling places of business. This was mainly where the townsfolk traded  or sold produce and goods made from their homes whereas Portman's Bells, which was near the docks, was where Gordorfians collected their imported goods from far off places like Laquer and Hartuga to name a few.

We left the square behind and rode along the handsome street of Billshmoth where we passed a little shop with toys displayed in the windows, a bakery, a jewel store, and a few storefronts displaying men and women's apparel. My aunt made quite a few stops collecting and delivering goods before guiding the ponies onto Lagged Lane, a smooth dirt road that became impassable after a heavy rain. It was also a shortcut between lower Gordorf and her home.

My aunt cheerfully discussed the little that happened in my absence which was interesting enough, for she told it as though it had happened in some far off place and not at all here in Gordorf.

"Jeff didn't like the idea of me runnin' all the way out in the lower parts with that cough an' made me bed down nice an' warm an' wouldn't hear any of my protests."  She chuckled lightly. "But I did enjoy having him fuss over me like a hen over one of her chicks!"

I smiled at the mention of my uncle Jeff who, like my aunt, was an easily lovable person. I secretly enjoyed watching the two of them during my visits; they laughed together like children and were wonderful hosts and storytellers.

I nodded to the gentlemen that raised their hats as we passed.

"A girl from beyond the mountains has gone to stay at Bedlaam. Have you seen anything of her yet?"

Aunt Winnie slackened her hold on the reins with a chuckle.

"Haven't seen anything but there's certainly enough talk of her to reach the Hars!"

I found myself telling of the quiet girl and the things said between Marge and the others. When I finished, she said with a concerned frown:

"Well, Lia, if they were so keen on not even greeting the child, she may be worse off than you think. From what you tell me, I imagine she's quite alone in the world, and so is bound to be spoken ill of… and girls can be particularly cruel."