Chapter 5: From Me to You

George

"By that look on your face, I already know that you're planning something," I said to Penny as I handed her a warm cup of coffee as we sat in the living room of my apartment "and whatever it is that you're thinking of doing, don't even bother doing it."

Penny groaned "Come on George, this will work for sure! Can't you just see how pathetic Paul is now?" We both glanced at Paul, who was completely wasted and was lying face down on my couch. Penny sighed as Paul tousled and turned in his sleep "I know that you want to crush him to pieces because he barfed on your leather jacket on our way home, but all I am saying is that we should give him some slack."

"Give him some slack? Penny you've got to be kidding me," I shook my head in disbelief. It was already past 2 in the morning, and after giving Paul a piggy back ride up to my apartment, I felt that I deserved to hit the hay like Paul, who seemed like he wanted to puke even in his sleep. "I dare you to have Paul puke on your favorite fur coat, and then maybe you'll get the picture."

"George, I don't even have a fur coat." Penny smiled as she made her dog pout face, something she knew I couldn't resist. "Could you just trust me enough to let me handle this my way? It's for Paul's sake and for Lucy as well."

"How come you dragged Lucy into this as well?" I asked her with a quizzical brow.

She sighed heavily as she took a sip from her cup "She told me about her recent breakup with her boyfriend, and that things are a bit messed up right now." I nodded in agreement "I know, she told it to me as well. But what are you actually planning on doing? Paul and Lucy have their own problems to handle Penny. I firmly believe that you shouldn't stick your nose in their lives."

"George, I am not proposing that I should act like cupid. It's more like helping a friend in need."

Before I could answer back, the phone rang. It was John on the other end, calling up on how Paul was doing. "I swear that I really didn't mean what I said a while ago about Paul having PMS." John defended.

I sighed "I think that the reason why Paul's acting weirdly is not because of what you said, I think that it's about something else." John was silent over at the other end, and then took a sudden intake of breath as he remembered about what Paul said about Maxwell and Lucy's breakup.

"What the hell did he mean when he said it was his fault that Lucy and her boyfriend broke up?" John asked. I rubbed my forehead as I tried to piece everything together, but I couldn't seem to get it as well. After John hung up, I looked over at Penny, who was covering Paul with a blanket. Penny looked up at me and said "Paul has a fever George, I think that we should get him some medicine or better yet bring him to a nearby clinic."

I looked over at Paul, who was sweating profusely and continued to tousle and turn in his sleep. I never thought that I would be able to see Paul in such a state, and I realized that I know only a little about him, that he still seemed to be a mystery to me. Paul and I weren't really close when we were kids, when he would usually hang out with John doing all their mischievous pranks.

We only became close when he got into this big fight with John months ago. It was just after the night when John found out that Anna made out with another guy, while Paul graciously didn't do anything even though he was practically on the scene itself. Paul kept on saying that he was too wasted to even remember the guy, and the party being a masquerade one, he really didn't notice Anna behind her costume. Ringo and I did everything to patch things up between those two. We realized that once Paul and John cut their ties, the band and everything we worked hard for will be in vain.