Chapter 06: {The Photographer And The Unfolding Truth}

Start from the beginning

My father cleared his throat, and I can just imagine the look he got on his face right now. I scratched my arm awkwardly as I kept feeling both of them staring at me. Aww, man... "Yeah, I know... I took... Uhm..." Great, just great, stuttering was just what I needed.

I rolled my eyes annoyingly at myself and crossed my arms over my chest. "I was welcoming my father and didn't notice time passing by." I turned around to catch my dad holding in his laughter and looking amused by my misery. Humor based on my pain, just what a bad bitch needed.

I narrowed my eyes at him and he straightened up. "Dad, this is Onika. Onika, this is my father, Matthew." I saw him raising an eyebrow as I mentioned her name. Please, don't connect the dots, please don't connect...

"Onika as in that goddess you're always obsessed with?" Never mind then.

"In the actual flesh, actually." Onika said cockily as she leaned against the door and crossed her legs together. Okay, posture! That was so sexy. Focus, Giselle... Right, okay. Why would she say that now?

I turned my head abruptly towards my dad, and he was looking confused as hell. "She's just kidding dad, what she meant is that she is named after her because she's Indian too."

"No, I'm not. And I said and meant exactly what I said." This bitch. I hate calling women names like that but she's trying the fuck out of me right now.

I laugh nervously as I shake my head at my father and rush to her side. I grab her elbow and drag her closer to me as I whispered in her ear. "What the hell do you think you're doing? You can't just be fucking telling everybody that."

Instead of answering me like normal people do, she elbowed me an pushed me aside. Petty. Then, she did one of the most brand new Onika things of her. She flashed my father a one-million-dollar dimpled smile and extended her hand for a handshake. "Pleased to meet you, Mat... Matthew." She hesitated with the name for a hot second but got it regardless. I feel like it's gonna take her a one try to get the names right, like she'll test them out then pronounces them right. Interesting.

He shook her hand delicately as he looked between us for a while, then he smirked. "Trust me, the pleasure is all mine, darling." Oh, hell.

He gestured towards the house after bowing his head a little. "After y'all." I shook my head at his antics and we all went inside. We headed back to the kitchen and took a seat. It was all too calm, all too cool, this isn't gonna end well. "Want some tea or coffee, papa?" Yes, I do call him papa, my Creole side be popping up with the French at times.

"I'll take whatever you give me, honey bee. And freestyle the rest, I don't really mind." He said as he took a sip of his water while trying to pick up on any clue. I nodded my head then started to remake another omelet and poured him a cup of fresh coffee with more stuff to the side.

I put everything on the table and asked Onika if she wanted anything too, she just raised her hand kindly and shook it dismissively. Talk about acting royal. I didn't really mind her behavior, because if she didn't still act like her true self I'd be confused. And worried...

"Hm, interesting." Said my father as he put his cup of coffee down. I lowkey forgot he was even here because of how silent he became once I put food in front of him. At least, one of us two enjoyed his breakfast.

As soon as I started digging in my food, dad decided to open his mouth again. "So, is y'all dating, friends or what?" He asked casually as he cut another bite of his omelet and waited for one of us to answer. Dating? I almost choked on my own drink.