Chapter 06: {The Photographer And The Unfolding Truth}

I reached the door and took a quick glance at the mirror to its side before I opened it to see who it was. And there stood my father with a huge bouquet of roses, and a bunch of other gifts in his other hand.

"Hey honey bee." He said smiling sweetly at me.

"Dad? What is you doing here?" I said as I stood frozen in shock, because what was he doing here, on my day off? Not that I am complaining, but a heads up would've been nice.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "Well, I saw you won your award two days ago and I just came back from my business trip and decided to come take you on a date for the full day. What? Can't an old man spend some time with his awards winning daughter?" He asked as he crossed his full arms over his chest and waited for me to answer.

I winced as I remembered our tradition each time I won an award. We would spend the whole day together; I should've known this was coming. Onika's stormy arrival in my life shook my routine up. Onika! My eyes widened at the thought of her sitting back in my kitchen. Oh, this is not good.

I sighed as I started feeling a headache already creeping in. "No, you can dad. I'm sorry I was just shocked to see you here so early in the morning." I said as I reached out to hug him and he embraced me tightly as he rubbed my back.

"Always grumpy and moody in your days off." He laughed as he started spinning me around in his arms. "Congratulations, honey bee! I knew you'd win, you deserve it."

I laughed softly as I enjoyed the warmth and joy of this moment. "Thank you so much, papa! Thank you for always believing in me and never doubting me." And it was true, he always supported my silliest visions and craziest dreams, always backed me up and had faith in me and I would forever be grateful for that. I am a daddy's girl thru and through.

Where's my "mother"? Some might ask, well I stopped seeing her or caring about what she had to say or do when she wanted me to stay with an abusive cheater and forced me to not speak up on what I was experiencing. She chose to have the back of a stranger instead of her daughter, her own flesh and blood, and her firstborn. Pretty twisted and sad, but hey that's life. Now, both of those people are far away from me, and nobody could ever make me give a fuck.

Dad put me down as he sensed the shift in my mood, I sighed as I closed my eyes to regain control over my thoughts and self at that too. "You're thinking about her again, aren't you?"

"I just can't help it, okay? I know I should get over it and it's been too long and it's not gonna happen again but it's easier said than done!" I hide my face in my elbow as I felt the angry tears threatening to fall.

"Oh baby, come here." Sighed my father as he brought me into a tight hug again. He kissed my head as he spoke softly. "I wasn't going to tell you that it'll get better soon or that you need to get over it, I'd never dismiss your feelings like that sweetheart. You went through hell and back and I'll be damned if I tell you not to feel over that, or to not grieve it. You have every right to embrace those feelings, not just bury them. Face them head on, and don't duck! You're a survivor and have always been one. Never forget that." He said as he held my face in his hands and wiped my tears away. "Now, enough weeping and let's actually head in, your old man is starving."

I nodded my head as I wiped my eyes and nose again. I hate crying whenever this subject is brought up or even thought of. I buried it deep within me, but the memories never cease haunting me. I hugged myself tighter as I closed my eyes for a while to chase away the ghost of the past and as my hand reached for the doorknob, the door opened up on its own. No, wait... Man this keeps getting better and better.

There stood Onika in my night gown, an unreadable expression on her face, and one hand on her hip. Did she hear what we were talking about? "Your breakfast is cold now." She said as she kept staring at me for a long while, longer than necessary even.