Chapter 52: The Yule Ball

The Hogwarts staff, demonstrating a continued desire to impress the visitors from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, seemed determined to show the castle at its best this Christmas. Everlasting icicles had been attached to the banisters of the marble staircase; the usual twelve Christmas trees in the Great Hall were bedecked with everything from luminous holly berries to real, hooting, golden owls, and the suits of armor had all been bewitched to sing carols whenever anyone passed them. It was quite something to hear "O Come, All Ye Faithful" sung by an empty helmet that only knew half the words. Several times, Filch the caretaker had to extract Peeves from inside the armor, where he had taken to hiding, filling in the gaps in the songs with lyrics of his own invention, all of which were very rude.

Despite the very heavy load of homework that the fourth years had been given for the holidays, Rubi was happier than ever. She was eagerly awaiting Christmas night.

Fred and George had had great success with their Canary Creams, and for the first couple of days of the holidays, people kept bursting into feathers all over the place. Before long, however, all the Gryffindors had learned to treat food anybody else offered them with extreme caution, in case it had a Canary Cream concealed in the center, and George confided to Rubi that he and Fred were now working on developing something else.

Snow was falling thickly upon the castle and its grounds now. The pale blue Beauxbatons carriage looked like a large, chilly, frosted pumpkin next to the iced gingerbread house that was Hagrid's cabin, while the Durmstrang ship's portholes were glazed with ice, the rigging white with frost. The house-elves down in the kitchen were outdoing themselves with a series of rich, warming stews and savory puddings.

Soon, December Twenty-fifth arrived. Rubi woke up, stretching before a huge smile broke onto her smile.

It was the day of the Yule Ball.

Rubi threw off her covers and took a seat in front of the pile at the foot of her bed. As she began to unwrap her first present from Lee, Hermione walked out of the bathroom, all dressed.

"Happy Christmas, Hermione!" Rubi cheerfully wished.

"Happy Christmas, Rubi!"

Hermione began going through her presents.

Lee had bought Rubi loads of assorted chocolates, magical and muggle. She was already drooling over them, her mind not being able to pick just one to try. Harry had got her a Broomstick Servicing Kit like the one he had received once from Hermione. Ron had bought her sweets from Honeyduke's. Hermione had gifted Rubi silver heels that sparkled with tiny gems.

George had gotten the girl a package of Zonko's products. Sirius had sent his daughter a bracelet with a mix of charms on it. Apparently each had a different spell enchanted to it. Molly had knitted the iconic Weasley sweater, this time a purple with a green R on it and also sent homemade fudge.

Rubi felt as if she was in sweet heaven.

Fred had gifted Rubi a necklace, with an almond shaped gem to top it. Lastly, Rubi's mother had owled her daughter exactly what she was needing for tonight.

Happy Christmas sweetie,

I hope you enjoy the ball tonight and I know you are going to love this dress as much as me. It felt just perfect for you.

You're going to blow Fred away with this. He'll be watching you like a lost puppy. I know your dad had gone crazy when he had seen me in a similar dress at our first ball together.

Have fun tonight.

Love,

Mum