Chapter 24: Gryffindor Versus Ravenclaw

I walked onto the Quidditch pitch for a final practise before Gryffindor's match against Ravenclaw. Madam Hooch held Harry's Firebolt in her hands, with pure admiration.

"Er - Madam Hooch?" said Wood. "Is it ok if Harry has the Firebolt back? Only we need to practise..."

"Oh - right - here you are, then Potter." said Madam Hooch. "I'll sit over here with Weasley..."

Ron also came to spectate the practise for a chance to ride Harry's Firebolt after. He had recently been sulking around. Apparently, he'd discovered blood on his bed sheet, and on the floor nearby was some ginger cat hair. This only meant Crookshanks had at last captured Scabbers, and eaten him for lunch.

"Rubi!" said Harry. "You have a Firebolt too?" This caught the rest of the team's attention.

"Huh? Oh - uh - yeah. I got one for Christmas." I said sheepishly. It wasn't a complete lie, I did receive it as a Christmas present but from whom I still haven't figured out. Apart from Fred, no one knows this secret.

"Two Firebolts on the team," Wood started saying. "Well this increases our chances of winning big time. Also, Harry, Cho Chang, a fourth-year Ravenclaw is Ravenclaw's Seeker, and she's pretty good... I really hoped she wouldn't be able to fit, she's had some problems with injuries..." Wood scowled his displeasure at Cho Chang's recovery. "On the other hand, she rides a Comet Two Sixty, which is going to look like a joke next to the Firebolt. OK, everyone, let's go-"

At long last, I was granted the opportunity to test out my new broom. Fred eyed me nervously. "Are you sure it's safe?"

"Positive." I flashed him a smile. Swinging my leg over, I kicked off from the ground. The wind whipping on my face and through my hair, the sound rushing through my ears. The Firebolt turned with the lightest touch, and travelled at a speed which turned the surroundings all into a mere blur. I swerved around to face Fred, who wore a look of relief.

I smirked. "Told you it's safe."

"Well you can't blame me for worrying, you're on my mind constantly - because you're my friend." A light pink tinted his cheeks.

I gave him a cheeky smile. "Don't worry about me, Weasley. You won't be able to get rid of me that easily." Winking, I swung the broom once again, to race over towards the Quaffle.

***

After a long period of hard practise, Wood beckoned to stop. He didn't have a single criticism to make, which George pointed out, was a first. ("I can't see what's going to stop us tomorrow!" said Wood)

Going through the changing room, I walked out with my broom slung over my shoulder, and a content smile plastered on my face.

Nothing can possibly ruin the match tomorrow.

On my way back however, I noticed a pair of eyes gleaming out of the darkness, due to which I froze on the spot. Whipping out my wand, I muttered "Lumos!"

A beam of light fell across, revealing to my utter surprise, Padfoot. I let out the breath I didn't realise I was holding. "Oh, it's you." Stashing my wand away, and glancing over my shoulder to check if the coast was clear, I proceeded cautiously towards Padfoot.

He happily licked my hand, deeming it safe to be with him, considering our last encounter. I chuckled, "Today's practise was great! We're sure to beat Ravenclaw tomorrow, and," my eyes fell onto my Firebolt, "I love my new broom." He barked with a hint of joy in his eyes.

"I'm still clueless as to who sent it though, and I don't know how I'm going to explain to Mum that I got my hands on a Firebolt." I shrugged it off. "Well, I'll deal with it later. If Sirius Black sent this," I may have imagined it but Padfoot seemed to be listening more intently, "then it's surprising that he didn't jinx it, I mean this would have been a great way to kill me. Anyways, enough about me, how have you been?" Padfoot licked my face and pushed his face further into my cupped hand, causing me to smile.