SVT NEXT DOOR | 26

AREUM

As the lunch hour came to an end, a palpable sense of anticipation filled the practice room, mingled with nervous excitement. The prospect of being personally trained by SEVENTEEN, including my boyfriend, weighed heavily on my mind, causing my heart to race and beads of cold sweat to form on my forehead.

Lost in my thoughts, the practice room's door swung open, drawing my attention to the three figures that entered. It was none other than Woozi, S.Coups, and Hoshi—the dynamic trio, each leading different aspects of SEVENTEEN's performances.

Relief washed over me, knowing that it wasn't all of SEVENTEEN who had arrived. Still, the fact that I would be trained by any of them was nerve-wracking in itself, even more so with the knowledge that my boyfriend was among them.

Hoshi's cheerful voice broke the tension as he greeted the trainees. "How is everyone?" he asked, and an enthusiastic chorus of replies filled the room, providing a momentary respite from the nerves.

S.Coups then stepped forward, taking the lead in explaining the upcoming training schedule. "For the rest of the training camp, you guys will be training in three separate groups—vocal, dance, and rap," he announced, outlining the divisions based on auditions and the morning's training session. 

My eyes darted to the board, where the list with our names and respective groups was pasted.

Woozi added his encouragement, his voice carrying a touch of reassurance. "We have carefully curated this training camp to benefit each one of you greatly," he shared, emphasizing the value and purpose of the rigorous training that awaited us.

With the announcement made, excitement filled the air, and trainees eagerly gathered around the board to check their assigned groups. Yoojung's eyes lit up with delight as she discovered that we were all placed in the vocal team. She playfully nudged Seokwoo, revealing his name on the list, but he didn't seem particularly enthusiastic.

As we discussed the prospect of being trained by Woozi, Yoojung's excitement knew no bounds. "This will be so much fun! We get to be trained by *VoBo himself!" she exclaimed, her admiration for Woozi evident.

I couldn't help but smile, though a touch of nervousness lingered in my mind. "Are we going to be okay?" I asked Yoojung. "I've heard that Woozi sunbaenim is really strict with his lessons."

Yoojung shot me a playful look, her eyes sparkling with optimism. "Come on, just look at his face! I don't think he'll bite... right?" she teased, trying to ease my concerns.

Her attempt to reassure me drew a chuckle from me as I recalled a dinner conversation where Jeonghan had shared a story about Mingyu being scolded by Woozi during a recording session. 

While Woozi's dedication to perfection was well-known, it seemed that his sternness was balanced with a genuine passion for helping trainees improve.

***

The day's training had taken its toll, leaving me in a state of exhaustion as I walked home alongside Chanyoung. His diminutive figure seemed to flit around me like a playful spirit, a brief distraction from my fatigued muscles.

His innocent curiosity tugged at my heartstrings as he inquired about my training. "Noona, how was the training?" he asked, his voice carrying a childlike innocence.

I let out a tired chuckle, a mix of amusement and fatigue coloring my response. "Well, it was something, I guess? I might need a wheelchair at this point," I replied, feigning a pout.

Chanyoung's smile was a ray of sunshine, his presence a comforting reminder of the bond we shared. But then his question veered into territory that was bittersweet. "Noona, how is Mom and Dad?"

My steps faltered, the weight of his words echoing in the air. A mixture of sadness and longing swirled within me as I continued walking. "Mom and Dad are still on their business trip abroad. They're not expected back until Chuseok," I replied with a hint of wistfulness.

Chanyoung's words were laced with a sense of melancholy. "Don't you feel lonely, Noona? It's like they're even more distant since I..."

His voice trailed off, the unspoken thought hanging heavy between us. I paused, turning to face him, my heart aching for the pain he must feel.

"Chanyoung-ah," I began gently, my voice a soft murmur. "Mom and Dad went through an incredibly difficult time when you left us. Their way of coping might involve burying themselves in work. It's not that they don't care, but sometimes people find their own ways of healing."

Chanyoung's smile held a bittersweet edge, his eyes reflecting a myriad of emotions. "I just don't understand why I'm still here, Noona."

I nodded in agreement, my understanding mirroring his confusion. "I often wonder the same thing," I confessed softly.

As our conversation shifted, curiosity led me to ask a question that had been on my mind. "Chanyoung, do you remember how long you've been here?"

Chanyoung's face scrunched up in concentration, his brows furrowing. "I think... it's only been a few months? I woke up and all I could remember was wanting to find Jungchan hyung as soon as I woke up."

My curiosity deepened, realizing that he has been addressing Dino whose real name is Chan as Jungchan for a while but before he could elaborate, a voice pierced through the air, instantly snapping my attention away.

"Areum?" the voice called out, and my gaze snapped to where Seokwoo stood a few meters away.

A sudden sense of unease coursed through me, a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I realized with a sinking realization that I hadn't worn my earbuds, which meant that Seokwoo could potentially hear me talking to Chanyoung.

"What are you doing... talking to that thing?" Seokwoo's voice was laced with disbelief, his eyes narrowing as they focused on our interaction.

My heart raced, panic tightening its grip. My mind raced to comprehend the situation, a thousand thoughts colliding in a chaotic whirlwind.

The realization hit me like a ton of bricks.

SEOKWOO CAN SEE SPIRITS TOO?!

A tense silence hung in the air, like a storm waiting to break. My heart raced, and I found myself struggling to find words as Seokwoo's gaze bore into me. Panic knotted my stomach as I attempted to concoct some sort of explanation for the situation at hand.

However, before I could utter a single word, Chanyoung's presence shifted beside me. It was as if he had sensed the impending tension and was determined to protect me from the brewing storm. His ethereal form seemed to radiate an unusual energy, and his eyes bore a newfound intensity.

"Noona," Chanyoung's voice was steady, his tone carrying an air of authority as he addressed me. His eyes, usually soft and innocent, had transformed into a piercing gaze fixed solely on Seokwoo.

The atmosphere seemed to shift as if caught in a power struggle, an unseen force pushing and pulling between them. Chanyoung's determination and Seokwoo's steadfast curiosity collided, their energies creating an almost tangible friction.

In that charged moment, Chanyoung's voice sliced through the air once again, his words carrying a weight of revelation. "I think I know why I'm still here," he stated, his unwavering gaze locked onto Seokwoo as if challenging him to comprehend the depths of his truth.

The world around us seemed to narrow, focusing solely on the interaction between the living and the departed. It was a collision of two realms, their boundaries blurring and overlapping in ways that defied logic.

My heart raced, my thoughts racing to keep pace with the unfolding scene. The energy between Chanyoung and Seokwoo crackled, a tension-laden dance that held the promise of unveiling secrets that had long been buried.

As the air hummed with unspoken questions, the fate of our intertwined stories hung in the balance, the next steps uncertain but undeniably significant.

*****

I wonder what's the connection between Chanyoung and Seokwoo~