𝔦

𝔰𝔱𝔬𝔯𝔶𝔟𝔯𝔬𝔬𝔨𝔢

The Enchanted Brew is shrouded in the comforting embrace of late-night darkness. The cafe's cozy interior seems to hum with quiet contentment. Soft jazz plays from hidden speakers, casting gentle rhythms into the dimly lit space. Gwen Larson, the owner of this quiet refuge, moves with a graceful rhythm of her own as she wipes down the mahogany counter, her hazel eyes scanning the few patrons scattered throughout.

The clock on the wall ticks steadily toward midnight, and Gwen's attention is drawn to a man hunched over a book in one corner. His cup of black coffee has grown cold, forgotten in the pursuit of some ancient text. She can't help but smile; this is the kind of atmosphere she's always wanted to create in her late-night coffee shop.

She steps behind the gleaming espresso machine, the soft hiss of steam providing a gentle background to the scene. As she prepares a cappuccino with expert precision, Gwen can't help but feel content. Her little coffee shop is thriving, and she's in her element, crafting perfect brews in the solitude of the night.

The bell above the entrance jingles softly, and Gwen looks up, expecting to see a regular customer. But what she sees stops her in her tracks.

Regina Mills, the town's formidable mayor, stands in the doorway, a warm smile gracing her features. Gwen blinks, her heart doing an unsteady tap dance in her chest. Regina never visits The Enchanted Brew, especially not at this hour.

"Good evening, Gwen," Regina greets with a softness in her voice that Gwen has never heard before.

Gwen blinks again, trying to make sense of the surreal scene before her. Regina Mills, the woman known for her sharpness and authority, is here in her coffee shop, looking for all the world like a regular customer.

"Good evening," Gwen replies, her voice trembling slightly, "What can I get for you?"

Regina's smile widens, and she steps up to the counter.

"I'll have a black coffee, please."

Gwen nods, her hands moving on autopilot as she prepares Regina's coffee. The espresso machine hisses, and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee fills the air. Gwen can't help but steal glances at the mayor as she works, trying to understand why Regina has chosen this moment to visit.

The coffee is ready, and Gwen places it on the counter in front of Regina, who reaches for it with a gracious nod. Their fingers brush briefly, and a jolt of electricity shoots through Gwen's veins. She's never felt this way before, not with any customer, let alone the mayor.

"Thank you," Regina says, taking a sip of her coffee.

Her eyes, usually so impenetrable, seem softer tonight, more approachable.

Gwen can't help herself.

"Is everything alright, Mayor Mills?"

Regina's lips curl into a knowing smile.

"Everything is quite alright, Gwen."

Gwen's mind races with questions, but she can't find the words to ask them. Regina Mills is a puzzle she has never dared to solve, and now, the puzzle is sitting right in front of her, seemingly eager to be unraveled.

The clock on the wall chimes midnight, and Gwen can't shake the feeling that this moment holds a significance she can't quite grasp. She leans against the counter, her heart pounding, her hazel eyes locked onto Regina's.

"Can I get you anything else?" Gwen asks, her voice trembling.

Regina sets her coffee cup down, her gaze never leaving Gwen's.