Chapter 6: Preachers and Popes Part 2

Start from the beginning

Gracias raised a concern, adjusting his glasses thoughtfully. "Are you certain this is wise, or even permissible? Many may accuse us of idolatry for merely considering the acknowledgment of these entities." He had confided his worries with Francis earlier, fearing that the effects of this unprecedented situation might lead to a schism within the Church.

Acknowledging the validity of Gracias's concerns, the Pope replied, "You make a valid point, Gracias, and I appreciate your suggestion of referring to them as entities. These entities do indeed bestow real power upon their worshippers—miracles on demand, spells, blessings, magic, and even curses." Demonstrating his point, he invoked a short prayer and conjured a loaf of his favorite bread, which he shared with Reinhard.

Witnessing the miraculous display, Reinhard was visibly astonished. "Did you see that?" he marveled, comparing it to an everyday act like pulling a pen from his pocket.

Francis continued, highlighting the potential ramifications of this extraordinary situation. "If we accept the accounts of divinity here as truth, it leads us to a profound realization: Our faith might manifest an entity in the form of God, either through the collective power of our belief or by the Grace of Christ, possibly through the arrival of some Christians in this realm."

As he passed out bread for everyone to snack on, the atmosphere remained charged with a mix of wonder and trepidation. Grateful murmurs filled the room as the cardinals accepted the sustenance.

Parolin nodded in agreement, adding, "Indeed, let us first address the matters within our house before venturing further."

Reinhard, clearly engrossed in contemplation, chimed in, "I concur. We should refrain from confronting the local faiths until we have thoroughly studied the theology at play. Only then can we devise a meaningful strategy to gain converts. It will require updating our interpretation of holy doctrine and carefully considering the role of these entities in God's plan."

Cardinal Giuseppe Bertello leaned in, suggesting a practical approach, "Perhaps we could differentiate between the revering of entities and the worship of our true religion. It seems that they pray to tangible beings for practical effects, not to an immaterial entity. We might argue that this isn't true faith, allowing them to retain their entities while we work to gain converts."

Francis pondered the proposal thoughtfully, recognizing the practicality of such a solution. However, he also sensed the potential for division within the Church. "While that may offer a practical resolution, I fear it could lead to a schism among our faithful," he mused, his mind processing various possibilities. "Yet, it does give me an idea for how to handle the entity that may take the form of God," he added, drawing inspiration from the wisdom of his predecessors.

"Moving swiftly against the Atheists and Agnostics may be a prudent step," suggested Cardinal O'Malley, his expression serious. "Their position is likely weakened, and their beliefs seem to have been shattered. We could capitalize on this opportunity to gain converts before other faiths do."

Pope Francis nodded in agreement, recognizing the potential in O'Malley's proposal. "Indeed, it seems that this may mark the end of Atheism, and it is in the best interest of our faith to seize the moment."

However, the conversation took a darker turn as Cardinal Mardiaga raised a troubling concern. "What of the more menacing forces we encounter here? There are rumors of demons, the living dead, and servants of darkness. Perhaps we should consider the possibility of declaring a crusade. I, for one, am uncomfortable sharing this world with such horrors," he admitted, his distress evident as he recalled the nightmarish scenes witnessed in areas devastated by the Conclave of Shadows.

Cardinal Reinhard, although understanding the sentiment, interjected with a measured response. "While the idea of a crusade may hold appeal in the face of such threats, we must remember that Christ teaches a road to salvation for all. Such drastic measures, akin to the medieval times, might not be the best course of action in this age. Now is the time for theologians and contemplation, not militant orders," he argued, shaking his head firmly.