𝓛𝓸𝓿𝓮 | 𝓟𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓣𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓿𝓮

"Nadia what going on?" Noah asks when lead him into his room. 

"Noah." I pause to sit down on the edge of his bed. I look up at him, who is standing in front of me terrified. I don't think hes ever seen mum or me cry like that before. "Dad is trying to get custody of us." I say starting to cry again. Saying it out loud to Noah is making it real. This is actually happening. The man that left my mother to raise us on her own is now trying to take us away. 

"What." Is all Noah could say. His expression changed instantly and I could tell he was in shock. 

"I know-" 

"What!" He shouted again. "He left. He left me when I was six. He-He can't just come back and take us from mum. He's the one that left us." Noah started yelling. I could see the tears building up in his eyes. 

"I know. I know." I say getting up and giving him a hug. I pulled away from him to hold his face. "And I'm not gonna let anything happen to you. I promise." I say wiping his tears away.

"Why is he doing this? Why is he doing this now?" Noah asks me.

"I don't know. I really don't know. But I'm gonna need you to be brave and help out with anything mum needs." I say giving him another hug. 

"Ok." He whispers back. I can tell he still is crying and I hold him for a few minutes. 

"I'm gonna go check on mum. Why don't you go downstairs and get some of your homework done." I say looking at his red eyes. It physically hurts me to look at him. Seeing my baby brother hurting is the last thing I want to see. I would do anything to protect him. 

I walk out of his room and back in to my mums to her her staring blankly at her wall. "Mum, are you okay?" I asked her slowly approaching her. She looks like if someone touched her, she would break into a million pieces. 

"I just don't know what I am going to do. We can't afford a lawyer. I mean I could start working extra hours and maybe get a night job but even then I don't think we would have enough. But who would take care of you guys. Plus I need to take time off to actually fight this." She starts blurting out. She starts to grab all the papers trying to put them into a neat pile but they just keep going all over the place and I can tell she's getting overwhelmed. 

"Mum. Calm down. We'll figure this out. Noah and I can take care of ourselves and besides we want to live with you. We want to stay. We're old enough to choose where and who we want to live with. He can't do much." I say trying to get her to calm down. I'm not sure if that's even true but as long as she calms down, it's okay. 

She nods her head in agreement. "Your right." She says then takes a deep breathe. "I don't know why I'm freaking out. Noah is thirteen now so he can have a say in all of this. It's not like he's six anymore. And your almost eighteen. You are practically an adult." She says trying to reassure herself. I nod along and help her clean up and organize the papers. 

"I'm gonna go start dinner." I say standing up and putting the piles of paper on her dresser. "I think you should get some rest. I know you were probably up all night worrying." I say helping her up off the ground and giving her one last hug before I left the room. 

✯¸.•'*¨'*•✿ ✿•*'¨*'•.¸✯

I decided to call Gavin that night and explain what had happened after school. 

"Yeah I'm just really worried about Noah. And my mom actually. Both of them aren't handling this well. Noah barely knows our Dad and I know it's scaring him. My mum is just a complete wreck." I say into the phone. I was laying on my back looking straight at my ceiling, my mind still wide awake working over time thinking about the events that happened today. "I'm so sorry to throw all of this at you. I know your dealing with your own family stuff and you probably don't want to hear about mine."