1. Rescue

Nikolai

'Are you sure she is here?' Alexander asked me through the mind-link as we walked down the dimly lit hallway.

'Yes. My men have found her,' I replied. I wouldn't be wasting my time like this if I wasn't sure.

Alex was an old friend of mine. He was a part of my pack before he met his mate and joined the Wintercrown Pack. And now he needed to rescue his mate before she got auctioned off.

Apparently, there was an attack on his pack. The attackers were unknown but they stole a lot of money and kidnapped quite a few females. Their last Alpha was killed and his twenty-year-old son had to take over as the new Alpha. Too many lives were lost and the pack was too unstable without an experienced Alpha to save their females. The new Alpha, Zain, made the right decision to cut his losses and focus on stabilizing the pack instead of risking a war.

So, Alex approached me. And there we were, in New York, halfway across the world from the supernatural island Jiv, the land I called home.

'I want to kill them all.'

'You will not cause a fight,' I replied sharply. He wasn't thinking straight. Having a mate does that to you. 'We will get her and then get out. Remember—one mistake and she is gone forever.'

He grunted.

"Please, Alpha Volkov, enter," the man leading us through the establishment said and opened the door in front of us. And I did. Alex and my brothers followed me.

The door led us into a large, open-plan warehouse-like section with high ceilings and no windows. The difference was that instead of goods, this warehouse housed slaves. They were held captive in barred cages of approximately four by eight feet. The establishment was strategically lit so that the light from the chandeliers shined on the slaves brightly enough to make them visible but keep the visitors walking around in the shadows.

'Go find her,' I mind-linked Alex. With a nod, he left. Mikhail and Vladimir followed him to make sure he didn't do anything stupid.

A particularly unique smell hit my nose and I began walking in its direction. I kept my senses on high alert. As an Alpha, I was invited, but as the Alpha of Rogues, I was not welcome there.

The humans in the cages were between the ages of sixteen and twenty-four, of varying sizes, colours, and levels of training. A tabled stand was placed next to each cage and on it was their description, the key to their cage, and a leash.

We could pick and choose the slave that we wanted according to our preferences. Once we picked one, we had to use the key to unlock the cage and then leash them, claiming them as ours. Next is the payment stage and then, there is an 'afterparty'.

The scent led me towards the end of the warehouse where there were barely any visitors.

She was short. Even on a slightly elevated level, she couldn't reach my chin. Her long, dark hair grazed the top of her ass. Her back was facing me and I already liked what I saw.

"Turn around," I ordered, wanting to see more.

She froze, and her heartbeat sped up before she slowly turned around.

My breath caught in my throat.

Only one word came to my mind that had the potential to capture even a slice of the wholesomeness of her beauty. Heavenly. She looked like the Moon Goddess had spent some extra time to carve her out.

Her eyes were downcast, her back straight, and her body still with her hands behind her back. She was very well trained, no doubt. I had the sudden urge to have her look at me. She was undeniably beautiful, pure, and innocent— she was someone who didn't belong here.